What exactly are you looking for?
by ewillND (2019-06-22 07:24:36)
Edited on 2019-06-22 08:37:06

In reply to: BR Resource Request: Raising a bilingual child  posted by BigBadBrewer

We moved to Germany on a three year employment contract almost 10 years ago, and decided not to leave. G7 (at the time) went to international school, because we didn't want her to have to go through the stressful Gymnasium entry process and then leave in the middle of Grade 5. G5 went to German kindergarten, and G2 followed about a year later. Both started in the international school by Grade 1, but they all had German friends even after that. G7 (now G16) has been playing soccer for the local sport club for several years. All three are bilingual, mostly because they spend a lot of their free time speaking German.

In grade 6 at our school, students choose a third language to study for the next five years. Older two chose Mandarin because they liked the challenge and wanted to learn about a completely different culture. Youngest will start French in the fall. I expect that her French will be better than their Chinese.

Bottom line, I would say, is that you should give your kid as much exposure to Spanish as you can. But, and this is extremely important, if your native language is English, even if you speak Spanish reasonably well, you should speak to him in English. He will pick up Spanish by living there, or in school if you go that route.

Where are you going? One of my close friends from here is moving to Valencia this summer. I can put you in touch if you are in the same place.

Enjoy it! Expat life is pretty great.

ewillND

Replies: