Just finished Good Omens
by El Kabong (2019-06-22 11:36:41)

Holy crap, that was an outstanding series. It better win a lot of awards.

My favorite part is when..
by NDBONE94  (2019-06-24 11:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Christian group protested Netflix about the show...

by 2 interesting authors, Gaiman and Pratchett.
by mkovac  (2019-06-23 13:40:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve read them both, and they are/were interesting writers.

I read Gaiman’s “American God’s,” and was not impressed. I read the first 4 Discworld novels by the late Terry Pratchett, and gave up on them because I felt the humor was strained and the plots so tongue in cheek that I could not relate.

My wife and I started ‘Good Omens” last night and she didn’t like it. I liked it and saw Pratchett’s fingerprints all over it, but with the brakes put on by Neil Gaiman - a good collaboration.

The first few books are not good
by hscorpio  (2019-06-24 11:22:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pratchett himself suggested skipping the first two. They are pretty different than the rest of his novels, and are much more focused on fantasy trope references. He seems to put one in every paragraph, but he acknowledged that. I would say it starts to get better around Guards, Guards! which is book ~7 or so. Give it a shot if your library has it.

It was a great adaptation of a good book
by captaineclectic  (2019-06-22 18:37:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am more optimistic than ever about Wheel of Time now.

I wish I could share your optimism
by hscorpio  (2019-06-24 10:29:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm wary, but we will see how it goes. I'm not sure how well they can translate a lot of the action from WoT into a visual medium. I mean, the weaves are invisible to most people in general. Then, only some weaves produce a visible effect. Many are mental compulsions or cutting someone off from the source.

Also, a lot of the story details are through internal monologues. I'll be interested to see how they portray the Lews Therin/Rand split personality on screen.

Probably like Battlestar did
by captaineclectic  (2019-06-24 11:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In fact I endorse James Callis for the alternately ranting and insane and coldly practical Head Lews.

Anyway, that’s a problem for a later day.

I got one of my sons hooked on Gaiman early
by OGerry  (2019-06-22 17:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with The Graveyard Book. We've been working our way through "Good Omens", with his sister throwing venom during the episodes. She's a "Supernatural" fanboi, and can't conceive a world in which both exist peaceably.

The Graveyard Book is great audiobook for a family roadtrip *
by Flann  (2019-06-23 12:56:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If there's an audiobook of Norse Mythology, that might work
by OGerry  (2019-06-23 21:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

too. I don't recall how naughty any of the naughty bits actually were. PG or PG-13, I think. I definitely recommend it for middle schoolers.

We're still working through, but it's a lot of fun...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-06-22 16:35:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...who'd a thunk that God, voiced by a woman, as She should be, would be a fan of:

(Of course this clip features the ending that Crowley says will never be reached.)

On a slightly more non-goofing-around note, this song always reminds me that Oscar Hammerstein wrote it, as he did the entire musical, while suffering from the stomach cancer that took him 9 months after the play opened; which gives the lyrics a little more meaning.

Next after we are finished with Fleabag.
by ballb4all  (2019-06-22 14:51:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t watch Fleabag with the kids. And it may make some couples uncomfortable. Just a guess.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a remarkable talent.

2.5 episodes into "Fleabag" and
by pmac98  (2019-09-23 16:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't get it. Don't think I've laughed once.

What am I missing? Does it get better?

Fleabag was good. *
by discNDav  (2019-06-22 20:58:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which network is it on? *
by Jvan  (2019-06-22 12:58:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll settle the tie. It’s on Prime *
by MDDomer  (2019-06-22 13:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Netflix *
by DBCooper  (2019-06-22 13:10:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe The Hulu? *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-06-22 14:53:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Check the Google *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-06-22 15:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yubetube *
by OGerry  (2019-06-22 17:31:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amazon Prime.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2019-06-22 13:08:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Tick, among other great shows.

Cool. That will be next after I finish The Wire. *
by cincysubdomer  (2019-06-22 12:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After you finish, start a The Wire thread
by volley  (2019-06-22 21:27:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I got to it late also and missed all of the discussion. I have some thoughts.

Really fun, ya? Tennant and Sheen are perfect together.
by 1NDGal  (2019-06-22 11:55:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I guess we’re bad Christians for not being outraged about it. So dumb.

Huh? Can you elaborate please? *
by Four Pillars  (2019-06-22 12:27:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dozens of stories out there, but this has Neil Gaiman’s very
by 1NDGal  (2019-06-22 12:46:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

funny retort to these morons.

20,000 people have petitioned Netflix to remove Good Omens.

Good Omens is actually on Amazon.

And that’s just part of the idiocy.

Ah got it. Everyone has to be outraged about something! *
by four pillars  (2019-06-22 19:41:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funny - making the same mistake you are making fun of
by dfw  (2019-06-22 13:15:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rightfully so, the making fun of, but still funny

Fixed!
by 1NDGal  (2019-06-22 13:42:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was embarrassing.