Laura Nyro - a gentle soul and excellent songwriter
by mkovac (2019-06-22 16:26:50)

I remember her, but did not follow her career and that she died of the same cancer that took her mother, both of them passing at age 49.

Here is just one of her songs: Wedding Bell Blues.

YES, she was I have been a fan of hers since the 60s. I am
by so-it-goes  (2019-06-23 15:44:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

also partial to many of the great female singer/songwriters of that day who continued on. They really blazed a trail. Great music.

One of my favorites of all time - so talented.
by ArasEra  (2019-06-23 15:21:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only found out about her late in high school just before I enlisted in the Air Force.

So many great female artists of that time period - Laura Nyro, Linda Ronstadt, Carole King, Karen Carpenter, etc.

I still enjoy listening to them to this day.

You know her songs because others sang them.
by dbldomer7375  (2019-06-23 07:31:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She wrote some great songs for other performers.

Another one of those 60's songwriters was Jimmy Webb.

Time and Love is a great song. *
by campuszoo  (2019-06-22 22:13:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Gonna take a miracle" is a great album...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-06-22 18:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...where she covered many great soul/R&B writers. Her she is doing "Jimmy Mack" by the Holland-Dozier team who did so much for Motown; she's backed up by Patti Labelle's trio, as she was throughout this album.

I hadn't realized that she wrote all those songs *
by ufl  (2019-06-22 17:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post