NYC restaurants with kids
by four pillars (2019-07-15 20:00:21)

It’s been 12 years since my wife and I left NYC and we’re heading back this week with our kids G11 and B6. We’re looking for recommendations for nice places to eat that are also conducive to kids. Our kids are extremely well behaved so it isn’t that we’re looking for places where shitty behavior would be accepted/ignored. Rather places that may be able to cater to their somewhat more limited diets. And maybe something that knocks the kids socks off.

Thanks!

The Burger Joint
by jerseyshoreirish  (2019-07-16 14:09:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the lobby of the Parker Meridian on W. 56th St. It's like a speak easy hidden behind curtains in the lobby.
Burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, great fries, shakes, sodas and BEER!
And VERY reasonable.

Always Shake Shack, too.

Bubby’s, Peking Duck House, Carmine’s, theatre district *
by ndwifemom  (2019-07-16 13:12:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sarabeth’s for Breakfast, Blue Smoke for dinner. *
by IrishApache  (2019-07-15 22:32:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was back in the NY area a few years ago for work, and
by Barrister  (2019-07-16 09:15:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my parents met me in the city and we really enjoyed Blue Smoke.

Blue Smoke is a fine institution
by DBCooper  (2019-07-16 09:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But there has been a BBQ revolution in NYC over the past 10/15 years. I don’t know if Blue Smoke would be in The top 5 bbq spots in the city anymore. Still a great place though.

For us, location was important. I was coming in from
by Barrister  (2019-07-16 09:55:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NJ by train, my parents were coming in from LI and none of us had been to WTC since before 9/11, despite my dad having worked in midtown for years after.

We walked around the pools and Battery Park, then took a quick side trip up to the Irish Hunger Memorial, so Blue Smoke was convenient.

The WTC PATH station wasn't done yet, but it was pretty wild looking from the outside.

That station is pretty amazing
by DBCooper  (2019-07-16 10:09:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely should be visited by tourists if in the area

Looks nice, but would've been better if they'd spent
by Wooderson  (2019-07-16 15:08:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the $4B on something a little more useful, like tying the PATH into the 6 train.

if around the meatpacking district
by DBCooper  (2019-07-15 21:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They might like Sugar Factory. It’s all about the sugar there as their desserts are really good and original. Their regular food is fine too, but a bit expensive. But you are in the Meatpacking district. I would only go for lunch on a weekday though, it can be a “scene” there at night or for brunch of people drinking their sugar mixed cocktails.

A lot depends are where you are going to be for good recommendations.

Thanks. We’ll be staying in Midtown
by four pillars  (2019-07-16 11:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we’ll be all over the city over the 4 days we’re there so we don’t really have any location specifications.

Wow, didn't know they were still open
by mitquinn  (2019-07-15 22:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't pay attention to this stuff very much these days.

I knew some people involved with the founders and their network of Las Vegas clubs. They group had a big blowup when their unreported income from Pure at Caesar's was pursued by the IRS.

Last time I saw them was around the opening of Chateau overlooking the strip from Paris. Those Sugar Factory lollipops fueled most of their early success.

Vegas in the credit bubble was something else.

Just did this
by Buffaloirish  (2019-07-15 20:49:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here are a few we enjoyed with our 12 year old and 10 year old:

Crave Fishbar on the East Side. (Seafood)
J.G. Melon for burgers
Briciola In Hell’s Kitchen
The Ellington (upper west side) for brunch

We did encourage the kids to stretch for new things to try. All of these places were excellent and the kids found something at each. But check the menus. You know your kids better than anyone!

Horn and Hardart Automat *
by knutesteen  (2019-07-15 20:28:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bill’s Burgers on W. 51st between 5th and 6th
by Frank Drebin  (2019-07-15 20:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also Patsy’s Pizzeria 206 East 60th

Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien.
by Wooderson  (2019-07-15 20:25:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hidden behind the curtain, nice little surprise spot.