$317 - Seriously. Who had that great idea?
by ndaero93 (2019-08-23 07:57:40)

"As we prepare to watch these students learn, grow, and discover over the next four years, I invite you to sponsor one student on your very own Domer Day. Whether a birthday or a significant anniversary, select a day special to you or a loved one and sponsor the all-in cost of attendance for one student on that day with a gift of $317.06." - Ellen Roof, Director of Alumni/Parent Giving

From an email I received from Notre Dame this morning. Seriously - they are advertising that it costs $317.06 PER DAY to attend Notre Dame.

Did they think that it would make the $75K / year number look smaller? I think it has the opposite effect. As the parent of an 11th grader who is kicking of a college search, it is just silly, and a bit tone-deaf.

$317/day - look at it through the eyes of a parent working - that is $40/hour salary AFTER taxes and everything else. To cover ONE Day at ND.

Oh, and someone should tell Ms. Roof that it is actually the class of 2023 that is starting (not the class of 2022).

My ONLY donation to ND: Parseghian Medical Foundation. *
by other_guy  (2019-08-28 09:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I quit the ND Loyal thing, because it felt cheezy.
by Wooderson  (2019-08-28 05:28:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Engage in 'fellowship' with other domers and badger them to give money so you can sit in the fancy suite for a shitty football game" was not a motivator for me.

What's better? "Domer Day" or a gift to "The Human Fund"? *
by o2v4nd  (2019-08-23 11:47:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Give to the Human League... they need it. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2019-08-23 12:07:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Low pay in working as a waitress in a cocktail bar *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-08-23 13:17:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How (I should say why) do you get these things?
by BeijingIrish  (2019-08-23 11:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I must be on a non-subscriber list or something. Actually, I asked to be put on such a list, and I guess they did. I never believed that they would act on my request, but maybe they did. It's also possible that my posts on NDN criticizing almost everything about contemporary ND caused me to be put on a list. Not surprisingly, the Bookstore ignores my request, and I continue to receive catalogues twice a year. The stuff in the catalogue gets uglier every year. Imagine actually being willing to buy any of that shit. Being scammed while showing off your poor taste.

Every email from ND has an unsubscribe link.
by squid  (2019-08-23 12:04:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I rarely get ND emails anymore. Some of the lists are separate from the ones I have unsubscribed.

Which is why my contribution shall be $0 per day
by Allumeuse  (2019-08-23 11:13:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because this is yet another sign the university has lost its damn mind, having long ago already lost its soul.

Amen *
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-08-23 12:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only 22 cents per minute.
by baloo88  (2019-08-23 09:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that’s more than what my family paid for internet access in 1995.

I think that would be a fantastic response
by DakotaDomer  (2019-08-23 11:38:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Sorry we can’t afford a day this year but here is 22 cents for one minute. Ask the designated student to spend it in mindful prayer and thanksgiving.”

Please send a photo and plaque.

Nice *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-08-23 13:12:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What Indiana Bell charged for long distance phone
by 1978Irish  (2019-08-23 10:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

calls in the 1970s

I’m consistently underwhelmed by the caliber of the people
by FL_Irish  (2019-08-23 09:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...ND has in its employ.

Here is her reply to me when I pointed out the stupid
by 512  (2019-08-23 12:00:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

error in the email referencing the class of '22, when in fact the incoming freshman are '23

Nonsensical and embarrassing.

"Tom, you are absolutely right! It looks like I still have last year's freshman on my mind...or I refuse to believe how "old" my graduating class year is starting to sound...thank you so much for catching this. Have a great Friday!"

Uh, honey you are 25, you are nowhere near old. And if you had pros there it would have been 'caught'

That's a bit harsh
by BigCLumber  (2019-08-23 16:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hers was a friendly reply acknowledging her error. I'm not sure what more you were hoping for.

The development department continues to miss the mark
by NDFlyer  (2019-08-23 10:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you aren’t a “whale”, you aren’t on their radar

My wife was burned out from teaching and was eventually
by Jeash  (2019-08-23 09:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recruited to work as an assistant in the development office. She was interviewed by the person who would have been her boss at one of the development tailgates. The reason that they wanted to hire her was the current assistant was incompetent, she couldn’t even spell her bosses name correctly in emails and letters after working for him for several months. My wife asked him when he would fire her and his response was “I can’t fire her , Notre Dame doesn’t fire people we just move them to other departments. She will get dumped in somebody else’s office”.

This is the essence of academia. *
by PWK2  (2019-08-24 13:58:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And is that the cost, or the price? *
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 09:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And what is the value, Mr. Wilde? *
by captaineclectic  (2019-08-23 11:25:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent question
by HScorpio  (2019-08-23 09:47:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

$317 a day * 365 days gives you $115k. Obviously they aren't looking at year round attendance. Dividing the PRICE of attendance (~$75k) by the $317 figure gives you 236 days. Which gives you 118 days a semester, or about 4 months. I assume that's how they calculated it.

Would be interesting to see some cost accounting on how much of that $75k or $317 a day goes towards actually educating and housing the student, versus how much is going to initiatives or unfunded department programs or buildings.

That was the math I did as well
by ndaero93  (2019-08-23 09:57:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took about 4 months for each semester - 120 calendar days (not class days mind you) and it came out to be around $75K - which aligned with the Total Cost of Attendance figures posted for ND.

Agree totally. Also the Director of Alumni and Parent
by 512  (2019-08-23 08:58:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Giving is a ‘15 grad? What experience can you gain in 4 years out of college that would warrant you having that job and title?

“For just 39 cents a day you can keep a ND student alive” *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-08-23 08:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Put down that Swarovski Crystal Helmet and sponsor 1 month!
by ndaero93  (2019-08-23 08:24:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why spend $10K on a crystal football helmet when you can adopt your very own ND student for one whole month for the same low low price!

I couldn’t believe helmet when I saw it in Bookstore Catalog
by ferndog  (2019-08-23 11:06:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought someone here was just joking around.

Nope. It’s real; and it’s spectacular. And it’s yours for only $10,000.

I showed the catalog to Mrs. Barney68. She said ...
by Barney68  (2019-08-23 11:53:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Someone will buy it."

Sadly, I think she's right. John 11:35.