I'm Popeye the sailor man,
by BeijingIrish (2019-08-23 11:01:58)

In reply to: Popeyes Chicken Sandwich  posted by alleghenyirish

I'm Popeye the sailor man.
I'm strong to the finish,
Because I eat my spinach.
I'm Popeye the sailor man.

No threads on this board more describe the age gap than threads about fast-food places. Maybe not the age gap as much as the prole gap. Just as I do not let a synthetic fiber ever touch my body, I would not even think about eating something from Popeye's. What is Popeye's?

I've been to McDonald's and Burger King many times. I've been to a Chick-Fil-A (sp?) once. I liked it, and I would go more often, but they are always crowded. The one time I went, I had to wait for a long time, and on subsequent occasions, the queue of cars in the drive-in line was too long. We have this thing in Colorado called Larkburger--maybe they're in other places--and once you've gone there, you don't want to go to other places.

I went to a KFC once. In Beijing, China, of all places. I was indescribably bad. I didn't so much eat my food as dissect it. First I peeled off the thick, rubbery skin. Underneath was a a chunk of glistening, pearlescent chicken rimmed with pieces of pale yellow fat. A watery red liquid squirted from the veins. I turned to the fries, but they tasted like the place smelled.

We have 3 Serious Texas BBQ's in Fort Collins, and I've been to each one. But we also have Nordy's, and it's much better. It's sort of fascinating to watch obese men and women with ugly tattoos shove fatty brisket in their mouths, cole slaw flying out the side, occasionally lifting a huge thigh to fart, finishing by cleaning their teeth with a toothpick. "Gonna go git me another pile of that peach cobbler."

I'm really not much of an expert, because I have been to so few of the popular fast-food places. The ones I've never been to:
Wendy's
Taco Bell
Sonic

I could probably think of some more. What comes into my head are other places. I'm not sure you would call them fast-food places. They are places like Applebee's. Cheap, shitty restaurants. I went to Applebee's once in York NE. It was the restaurant in a Holiday Inn at the intersection of I-80 and US Hwy 77. The women's prison in Nebraska is in York, and I think the Applebee's participates in the work release program. I've never been to a Red Lobster or an Outback Steakhouse, the latter because I loathe the voice of the Aussie guy in the Outback ads.

Replies: