It sounds like the pump
by LondonDomer (2019-08-23 11:02:15)

In reply to: Building on this post....  posted by ndroman21

would be a lot less invasive/expensive to install than a line though, right?

Our master bath is on the second floor, farthest from the water heater (which is in the basement), so plenty of gravity drop. But seems like running a line from there back to the heater would be quite the ordeal.

Yes - the pump is basically the "DIY" version of the loop.
by voidoid  (2019-08-23 11:12:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Building a home from scratch, you would do the loop. When we remodeled, the pump was like $300 installed versus running the new loop line under slab, through walls, etc.

You need the line with either method.
by ndroman21  (2019-08-23 11:11:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The valve doesn't dump water down the drain, it recirculates it through the recirc line.

Dumping it would waste water and energy, and is likely not allowed.

It's hard to say exacty how tough it would be to run the line. If you have a plumbing stack to follow, you might only need to cut a couple of holes in the walls in a couple of places to drill a new hole through the sill plates/heads. You can fish a 1/4" or 3/8" copper line through a stud cavity pretty easily.

Not true - the pump re-circulates through the cold supply.
by voidoid  (2019-08-23 11:12:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We installed it at my house, works great, no loop required.

Hmmm, interesting. *
by ndroman21  (2019-08-23 11:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, this is what I'm seeing.
by LondonDomer  (2019-08-23 11:14:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The original pump linked, the Watts 500800, says installation simply requires installing in the pump in the line and sensor by the furthest fixture.

As a fellow resident of CT
by voidoid  (2019-08-23 11:17:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wholeheartedly recommend it. During the dead of winter it is AMAZING to have immediate hot water.

It's all but a done deal. I had no idea something like this
by LondonDomer  (2019-08-23 13:59:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

even existed.