Heading to Budapest, Vienna and Prague in 10 days
by sjdomer (2019-08-23 18:20:02)

In reply to: Both are great, but I'm very partial to Budapest  posted by sprack

with my wife to celebrate anniversary. Do you have any recommendations for places to eat and drink? Thanks.

Two Prague recommendations
by doolinbanjos  (2019-08-24 09:13:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Restaurant Pod Věží sits near/under one of the original towers of the Charles Bridge (on the Castle side of the bridge). It's quaint and has delicious Czech cuisine.

The best meal I had in Prague was as Casa di Carli in the Jewish Quarter very near the Spanish Synagogue. Since you will undoubtedly have many Czech dish while you are there, this is an excellent change of pace.

I can second Pod Věží, and one more.
by ewillND  (2019-08-24 12:09:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A friend of mine and I enjoyed the Klášterní pivovar Strahov brewpub, in a restored monastery up near the castle. Good food, good beer.

During our years in Prague (1994-2007),
by BeijingIrish  (2019-08-24 13:34:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we lived in the courtyard of the Strahov Monastery (Strahovske nadvori 9). You may remember the little pink house immediately to the left of the entrance portal. St. Roch's church is to the right. The brewpub was built sometime after 2000--can't remember the year.

St. Roch is the patron saint of the Plague. Centuries after it was built to commemorate the end of the Plague, the famous Czech artist, Alfons Mucha, was married in the church. Built in 1458 to be the sexton's house, it houses a small art gallery today. The abbatial church, Church of the Assumption, is where Mozart played the organ during his years in Prague. During our time, the organist was the director of the sacred music department at Charles University. Our time up there was a magical period in our lives.

Looked up the address. What a location. *
by squid  (2019-08-24 16:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks! *
by sjdomer  (2019-08-24 09:48:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do - this restaurant on a little side street in Pest (link)
by sprack  (2019-08-23 21:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But very close to the Parliament.

Csarnok Vendéglő, at Hold utca, 11

That was the restaurant I was talking about in my post. A hidden gem!

In Pest also lots of good restaurants on the riverfront and at Vörösmarty Square.

And there’s also that opulent relic of the gilded age during the dual monarchy, the New York Cafe. Well worth the visit.

Thanks. Looks great. *
by sjdomer  (2019-08-24 08:38:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always recommend Noi
by Iceknight  (2019-08-23 19:07:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thai place. Sounds weird...but apparently there’s a decent Thai community in Prague and this place came highly recommended from the concierge. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the recommendation. *
by Sjdomer  (2019-08-23 19:22:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post