Linda Ronstadt biopic opened last week. For any 70s
by Rosecrea (2019-09-22 15:33:31)

types out there: RUN, do not walk, to see it. It was terrific.
“Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice”

2 from Linda Ronstadt - Atlanta 1977
by mkovac  (2019-09-22 22:16:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1977 was a good year for her, as it was for ND.

Following up on abqgant's post below, where he gave us two of Linda Ronstadt's hits, please indulge my admiration for her singing Poor Poor Pitiful Me and Buddy Holly's It Doesn't Matter Anymore.

First, Poor Poor Pitiful Me.
You don't see too many songs where everyone turns to the drummer in admiration for his treatment of a song. This is one of them.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like a fretless bass is being played.

And, now, It Doesn't Matter Anymore.
One of my favorites of Buddy Holly (written by Paul Anka). This version just slays me. You can feel the respect she has for the rock icon. In my mind's eye, Buddy Holly is to her left and a single light comes down to illuminate him singing the song with her.
I like to think he was there in Atlanta that night, onstage with her. In fact, I'm certain he was.
Buddy Holly was a true romantic. He proposed to Maria only five hours into his first date with her. Five hours. Five hours. Would you believe in a love at first sight? Yes, I’m certain that it happens all the time.

Some of my favorites
by Kayo  (2019-09-23 09:09:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it heresy to say that even though I love the original, this next one is better?

Brighten your Monday with collection of Linda Ronstadt covers linked below.

Thank you.
by mkovac  (2019-09-23 12:13:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rock Me On The Water just destroys me whenever I hear it.

I can’t explain it. It just does. So does Bob Dylan’s last verse, which instills hope, in A Hard Rain’s A Gonna Fall.

My wife and I have seen Jackson Browne here in town three times, and when he plays this song, I have to get out the handkerchief.

The song brings up memories of the past, not all good, and its lyrics hit me right in the chest and swirl around and won’t leave without a sense of wonder and respect, not the least of which is sadness, recalling his and my mutual friend, Mirandi Babitz, talking of her conversations with him of his lost wife shortly after she passed.

I’ve never met him, but he feels like a friend when I hear his music or when someone else sings his songs.

A lot of good music came from that group of friends.
by cincysubdomer  (2019-09-23 18:28:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ronstadt, Browne, Zevon, Frey, Souther.

Really liked her work with Nelson Riddle.
by dbldomer7375  (2019-09-22 19:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Classics from the Great American Songbook. Well worth investigating.

That is a great collection. *
by ND8486  (2019-09-22 19:59:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope this post doesn't reignite the controversy
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-09-22 15:46:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that occurred a couple of weeks ago regarding whether or not she was a great singer. With that in mind, I would just like to say two things.

1. I, along with probably a few million other young men had a major crush on her back in the day, and...

2. In my opinion, she was a great singer but then again, opinions are like assholes...everybody is one.

everybody has one and
by quasimodo  (2019-09-22 19:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they all stink.

Q

You mischaracterize the debate. It was “greatest” female
by tar  (2019-09-22 18:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vocalist of all time. Which is a lot different than the binary question you posted.

You are right, forgve me for my mis-recollection.
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-09-22 18:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although, a few days ago, I was having an email discussion with The Holtz Room in which I gave my opinion that she was indeed one of the all time greats. He disagreed. He is much too good of a friend for me to tell him what I thought of him at that moment.

Wait! My exact words:
by The Holtz Room  (2019-09-22 19:21:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“All-time? Not for me, but it’s a matter of preference. Definitely a hottie in her day!”

I was responding to the notion that she was #1 all time not that she was not among the all time greats.

Don't I feel like the f**king asshole.
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-09-22 19:32:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I obviously misinterpreted your email reply.

Ha! No worries.
by The Holtz Room  (2019-09-22 20:31:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was trying to find the pic of one of my 90s crunches (Nina Gordon) in her Linda R tee shirt for you.

allow me to nip controversy in the bud....
by abqgant  (2019-09-22 18:30:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's all so subjective. Sinatra v. Ronstadt.
by 528 Flanner  (2019-09-22 20:13:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Depends on genre' and personal preference.

Look at these two videos. Same song, same arranger but different arrangements (Nelson Riddle).

I prefer the Ronstadt version and particularly the closing but one can't deny the amazing way Sinatra phrased songs.

Compare and contrast.

Wow! I missed that controversy. I certainly know what side
by Rosecrea  (2019-09-22 18:21:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have been on,though.

Agree on both points *
by BIGSKYND  (2019-09-22 16:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No kidding. She helped get me through puberty. *
by usmcirish  (2019-09-22 17:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she made wish I was a stone poney *
by abqgant  (2019-09-22 18:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Poor, poor pitiful you. *
by cincysubdomer  (2019-09-23 18:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post