I left my job after 34 years in April
by kentdorfman (click here to email the poster) (2019-09-23 20:19:09)

In reply to: Resume questions  posted by tf86

So it can be done. I 'm a couple of years ahead of you (ND'84). Put all the dates on my resume and got plenty of action. Different field, Aerospace and Program Management. I set a high bar and turned down some lower paying jobs. Took a year and wound up at a startup. Fairly big, aging organization to a 20 person start-up. I went from a 15 minute drive to a 65 minute drive. Zero regrets. I'm happy with the change and would do it again in a second.

Some thoughts/lessons learned

1) LinkedIn - use it. That's how they found me. Also a colleague our age. Also my 25 year old daughter. All in the last 12 months. Get your profile up to date with a photo, etc.
2) I was at one company straight outta ND. I filled 2 pages.
3) At the bottom of my resume, I put a miscellaneous section that said married, 3 kits, excellent health, avid snow skier and open water swimmer. The current HR/COO/a little of everything at the startup teases me a little about it now. "Never seen that on a gazillion resumes I looked at" but she loved it. She said she was out with an HR Director at local division of massive defense contractor and they shared notes. He was complaining about bringing in a "corpse" so she countered with my story. Now I work out every day and keep myself in very good shape. So I could back it up. Actually I limped into the second interview after tearing a calf muscle skiing. It's a source of amusement now. Think about that. It clicked with at lest one person.
4) I tried to display energy and enthusiasm in my interviews. Like I was ready to jump out of chair and go. I may have overdone it looking back. But I tried to fight the ageism that way.
5) I had one guy look at me sideways and said "why don't you just ride it out for a few more years?". I have at least 10 more years, I'm don't want that. It ain't over. I'm looking for a long term solution.
6) My son's a junior at UofR. Maybe we'll have a beer sometime when visiting and compare notes if you are still in Rochester.
7) Good luck. Don't get discouraged. Just keep pushing through. There are jobs out there. Feel free to drop me a line if you need a pep talk.