Press conference by St. Joe prosecutor today seeking info
by 1NDGal (2019-10-17 00:00:07)

on the hit-and-run that killed Hannah Turgeon, ND ‘14, outside the Backer last Saturday night (2:15am).

The Sweeney law firm has exterior cameras that caught the incident.

Hannah wasn’t just wandering across the street (South Bend Ave.) when she got hit. She was talking to an Uber or Lyft driver.

And her dad was feet away
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-17 09:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prayers for the family - as a dad, I can't imagine anything worse

Why was he stopped in the middle of the road?
by ndtnguy  (2019-10-17 09:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously Uber or Lyft can identify the driver to whom she was speaking.

From the video that was released, it appeared the Uber/Lyft
by CaptainIrish  (2019-10-17 15:56:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had their turn signal on and was attempting to turn left into the parking lot, when a person who I presume to be Hannah, came out to communicate with the driver. Shortly after, a car is seen coming from the other direction before the video stops.

This is often a criticism of Uber
by wildesilas  (2019-10-17 10:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The drivers don't always follow safe protocol for picking up / dropping off riders. The video shows the driver stopped in the middle lane going eastbound...so she walked across two lanes of traffic and was struck by the car going westbound. A taxi would never have stopped in that position. Just terrible.

Are we sure it actually was an uber or lyft?
by tdiddy07  (2019-10-17 14:09:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or did she mistakenly think it was? Could the driver have just been stopped at the traffic light in the middle lane having no idea who she was?

Probably, but not necessarily
by revressbo  (2019-10-17 10:23:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on what I read, she turned to start walking back to the Backer. Maybe she was going out to ask the driver if he was her driver, and he wasn’t, so she turned back. If so, then it could be difficult, though not impossible, to identify exactly who the driver was. Also don’t know if there are privacy laws or the like for something like this that would prevent Uber/Lyft from identifying.

I agree it’s ridiculous for any driver to just stop in the middle of the street. I’ve never seen an Uber/Lyft not pull over to the side of the road.

They will do so when they get a subpoena
by ndtnguy  (2019-10-17 13:24:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those privacy laws can prevent voluntary disclosures, but they give way like Chris Galippo when they come up against a subpoena issued in a criminal investigation.

And the cars are minutely tracked with gps. They will be able to ID the car.

Plus, why did this car leave the scene of the accident?
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-17 14:07:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sorry, but that seems criminal, too

The St. Joe prosecutor confirmed
by JC_90_94  (2019-10-17 15:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the press conference that the driver of the car which is suspected to be an Uber/Lyft did remain at the scene for some time. It seems that the attention of those responding, obviously, was caring for the victim and that the driver departed thinking that they didn't need him. Seems odd that they wouldn't have someone available to gather the contact information at the very least. He did indicate, however, that they are not critical at all for him leaving.