I have a question about attending concerts...
by Hometown fan (2019-10-17 00:06:54)

I have only attended two concerts in my life. I have interest in seeing Bob Seger at the United Center this weekend; and, I will most likely go see Billy Joel at the stadium in June. My question is, does it really matter where your tickets are located at a concert? Using Billy as an example, would it really be worth 3x the price for section 29 versus section 133? At the UC, is a concert enjoyable in the 300 level?

yes, pants are required *
by 84david  (2019-10-17 21:19:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like to be as close to the soundboard as possible.
by Killian  (2019-10-17 15:03:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Without being on the floor.

You’ve only been to two concerts in your life?!? *
by Widespread irish  (2019-10-17 12:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, only two....
by Hometown fan  (2019-10-17 12:33:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alabama, in Wichita, early 90's, as a group outing with wife's work; and, Garth at stadium last year. Funny part is I am not a country or western fan at all.

I agree that this is odd. Does he mean arena shows only?
by 3rdSt  (2019-10-17 12:31:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it possible for a middle aged person to never have been to a venue with live music? How does one avoid such things? And still know enough about music to want to go see Bob Seger and Billy Joel.

"Venue with live music" and "concert" are not the same
by ndtnguy  (2019-10-17 12:57:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been in venues with live music plenty of times, but Robert's Western World is not a "concert."

I'm having trouble thinking of more than two "concerts," in the sense of an event where the primary purpose for attending is to see people play guitars.

I guess I have three: Memphis Music Festival 2002, Blues Traveler and Drive by Truckers at Mud Island in maybe 2004, and Rodney Atkins at the Delaware County Fair in probably 2006. I cannot recall another instance where I went somewhere, much less paid money, for the express purpose of seeing contemporary or popular music plaid live.

That's amazing to me.
by Irishted  (2019-10-17 13:27:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been going to concerts for 30 years. I would guess my total is in the hundreds. There were times in my late twenties I would see 8-12 a month.

Yeah. My kids have all been to actual concerts before
by 3rdSt  (2019-10-17 13:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they were teenagers. Which just continues my family’s traditions of going to see a fair amount of live music. I was probably ten when I saw Neil Diamond, but I’m not even sure that was my first actual concert. I can’t even imagine a college experience or pre-children life without going to see dozens of concerts a year.

I've seen plenty of live music
by ndtnguy  (2019-10-17 13:56:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Also, I can get to four in my previous post: I saw Ben Folds during undergrad in 2007.)

But almost all of the live music I have consumed has been classical: I've seen the LA Philharmonic, the Chicago Lyric Opera, the local symphonies and opera companies in Memphis and Nashville, the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, the Czech National Symphony Orchestra, Itzhak Perlman, and a host of other classical soloists and chamber ensembles. We took our then-six-year-old to see Perlman, and my parents took my siblings and I to such things as kids. The Memphis Symphony used to play great summer concerts outdoors, which were a lot of fun.

What I haven't done is devote a bunch of time and energy to popular music, something I simply don't find sufficiently culturally valuable or personally fulfilling to warrant that kind of attention.

It's like watching a game there at the 300 level
by sprack  (2019-10-17 10:59:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seriously. Would you rather watch a game at the 100 level or the 300 level?

That's kind of why I asked; I am not sure.
by Hometown fan  (2019-10-17 11:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A game has a lot of action, movement. Billy Joel and Bob Seger are not exactly Lady Gaga. Gaga would have a lot of choreography to see. I expect the two older guys to be fairly stationary and was wondering how much I really need to spend to enjoy the concert.

Trick question -- watch on the 200 level *
by El Kabong  (2019-10-17 11:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tell me more. Might buy Hawks tickets today. *
by OCND  (2019-10-17 11:52:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the Lexus Club Level seating *
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-17 12:20:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would be a very good choice *
by sprack  (2019-10-17 11:22:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It definitely makes a difference.
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-17 10:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The closer the better.

Don't wear the shirt of the band you're going to see *
by TCFC  (2019-10-17 10:16:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would not; but, am curious as to why..
by Hometown fan  (2019-10-17 11:13:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wear an ND shirt to a game; is it a violation of concert etiquette or something?

Billy Joel fans might beat you up. *
by 3rdSt  (2019-10-17 12:32:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Slap fight! *
by doolinbanjos  (2019-10-17 13:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ask Jeremy Piven *
by TCFC  (2019-10-17 11:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To bring it full circle
by HTownND  (2019-10-17 12:22:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That advice was given to the one and only D-Bob

If Joel has the same arrangement as MSG,
by tdiddy07  (2019-10-17 09:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his piano turns 360 and if you're behind the stage, you get a great view of him and the band. I don't know if the stadium arrangement will have reserved seats directly behind the stage or not given that the floor seats will presumably be standing room and may potentially go all around the stage. But if there are seats behind the stage and close to it, those often go for cheaper but are actually very good seats.

Nope
by El Kabong  (2019-10-17 09:21:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're not selling tickets south of the 50 yard line

It's the 30 yard line.
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-17 10:21:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can buy tickets in Section 11 and 27.

And if it sells well, you usually see concert venues open up one more section on each side.

Gotcha. Didn’t know if it’d be set up long ways near an end
by tdiddy07  (2019-10-17 09:32:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

zone or set up short ways near a sideline. If it’s set up shortways at midfield than the setup obviously won’t provide for behind the stage seating.

Yes it matters
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-10-17 08:18:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially in the 2 venues you’re attending. We sat in the upper bowl for Garth and the sound quality was sorely lacking.

Same goes with the UC. Lower is a lot better.

In my opinion if you’re going to spend money on your third and fourth concerts ever, pay more for the good seat.

I think high up at UC is pretty terrible *
by DakotaDomer  (2019-10-17 07:52:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it depends significantly on the venue.
by NDBob  (2019-10-17 00:23:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Venues like Banker's Life in Indy, in my experience, are awful because they go straight up and reflect all the sound back down. I've seen two concerts there ... the first I was in the upper balcony on the side and it sounded awful. The echoes and reverberations muddied the sound completely. The second time was down on the floor and we were right in front of the main speakers and the building acoustics didn't have as big an impact.

Not sure what ND Stadium will be like for a show, but the fact that it is open to the air should help a bit. Bigger concern would how well you want to see the performers --- I'm guessing lower level around the 50 will probably be better than the rear seats on the carpet.

While I wasn't there, I did see Garth Brooks concert
by TWO  (2019-10-17 10:52:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at ND Stadium on TV and it sounded spectacular and was a spectacular show. I don't really remember what people posted about their live experience though.

Bankers Life is worthless for concerts
by meatwhistle  (2019-10-17 09:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Somewhat unrelated: White River State Park is my new favorite venue.

Much smaller venue, but we saw Revivalists two summers ago
by NDBob  (2019-10-17 23:46:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the Garfield park Amphitheater.

Was supposed to see Toad the Wet Sprocket there this summer but the show was rained out.

Nice small intimate venue.

Depends on the band, and the weather.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-10-17 10:32:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with you about BL. I like White River a lot, but a lot of bigger bands can only do Ruoff/Verizon/Klipsch/Deer Creek or Banker's Life. Fortunately, most of the bigger acts I like tour Indy in outdoor concert season, so I can avoid BL.

If the band can fit into White River, that's great. I've seen CSN, Tedeschi Trucks, Wilco, and one or two others there. Fantastic and laid back.

The only indoor venue I like is the Murat. The seats are terrible, but the sound is 1000 times better than BL. I've seen some great stuff there.

Your last sentence is most certainly true.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-10-17 09:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Front Floor > Lower level 50 yard line > Other floor > Other lower level > Any upper level.

It's a personal choice, but I'd avoid the very highest level
by doolinbanjos  (2019-10-17 00:17:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The upper level of even an NBA arena like the UC can make you feel disconnected, in my opinion. I was in the upper far section for Billy Joel at Banker's Life, and although it was a great show, it felt dead.

On the other hand, I won't pay the price of transatlantic flight to be really close, either.