I think it depends significantly on the venue.
by NDBob (2019-10-17 00:23:30)

In reply to: I have a question about attending concerts...  posted by Hometown fan

Venues like Banker's Life in Indy, in my experience, are awful because they go straight up and reflect all the sound back down. I've seen two concerts there ... the first I was in the upper balcony on the side and it sounded awful. The echoes and reverberations muddied the sound completely. The second time was down on the floor and we were right in front of the main speakers and the building acoustics didn't have as big an impact.

Not sure what ND Stadium will be like for a show, but the fact that it is open to the air should help a bit. Bigger concern would how well you want to see the performers --- I'm guessing lower level around the 50 will probably be better than the rear seats on the carpet.

While I wasn't there, I did see Garth Brooks concert
by TWO  (2019-10-17 10:52:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at ND Stadium on TV and it sounded spectacular and was a spectacular show. I don't really remember what people posted about their live experience though.

Bankers Life is worthless for concerts
by meatwhistle  (2019-10-17 09:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Somewhat unrelated: White River State Park is my new favorite venue.

Much smaller venue, but we saw Revivalists two summers ago
by NDBob  (2019-10-17 23:46:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the Garfield park Amphitheater.

Was supposed to see Toad the Wet Sprocket there this summer but the show was rained out.

Nice small intimate venue.

Depends on the band, and the weather.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-10-17 10:32:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with you about BL. I like White River a lot, but a lot of bigger bands can only do Ruoff/Verizon/Klipsch/Deer Creek or Banker's Life. Fortunately, most of the bigger acts I like tour Indy in outdoor concert season, so I can avoid BL.

If the band can fit into White River, that's great. I've seen CSN, Tedeschi Trucks, Wilco, and one or two others there. Fantastic and laid back.

The only indoor venue I like is the Murat. The seats are terrible, but the sound is 1000 times better than BL. I've seen some great stuff there.

Your last sentence is most certainly true.
by doolinbanjos  (2019-10-17 09:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Front Floor > Lower level 50 yard line > Other floor > Other lower level > Any upper level.