The Bama student that called in the bomb
by inigomontoya (2019-10-17 14:22:10)

Threat to the LSU stadium last weekend because his buddy was losing a bet had me wondering why that hasn’t happened before and why not?

I forget the exact rules for a football game to be considered official/complete game for most gambling house rules, but I believe has to be something like if game is ended early (I suppose weather or some other calamity) there has be less than 5 minutes to go in the game.

If there was a hoax bomb threat like the one that was made, at worst maybe would be an evacuation of the stadium like for thunderstorms and then people would pile back in.

But could someone orchestrate a bigger/more situation to end a game early and be called completely in order to efffectively cancel a bet that was losing?

Years ago I had a small bet on a game it was Nevada vs someone, and the game in fact was ended before the house rules and the bet was voided. Sometime during the 4th quarter a transformer a few miles away apparently failed and would have been hours to restore and the game was officially called and no make up. (I would have won give where the score was)

If someone had the desire to rig a mid game cancellation as a fail safe, what would the risks be?
-simply getting caught with whatever crime, threats, vandalism, destruction of property?

Or

- if a person enacted the fail-safe, then gambling regulators or wiseguys saying...how convenient—-so, you place a huge bet that was going to likely lose and now the game is voided???

And even if it did work and no one was suspicious and you got away with it, you would be crazy to ever try twice.

Make sure to secure your rights for the inevitable movie
by SteveM  (2019-10-17 18:55:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

plus a legal question if anyone is reading this.

Since this was a communication across state lines I assume it is a federal crime, but would the state crime be in the state from where he initiated the call, the state where the threat was received, or both? In other words could he be facing the SEC trifecta by being prosecuted by the federal government, Louisiana and Alabama for that single act?

The story said they had him in custody..
by TWO  (2019-10-17 14:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

very quickly...did he use his own cell phone to call it in? Rookie mistake.

Not an expert but gut tells me he starts for Miami next year *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-10-17 16:45:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think he's very smart. Just a gut feeling *
by sprack  (2019-10-17 16:01:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm going out on a limb here to guess that alcohol may have
by otters92  (2019-10-17 15:20:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

played are part in his trickery.

Let's say I am a mob enforcer working for The Holtz Room.
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-10-17 14:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And let's say somebody places a very large bet on a game and he is going to lose that bet. I don't care if the stadium is suddenly swallowed by an earthquake, it looks too convenient. I am going to go Mack the Knife on his ass. To do otherwise would let other degenerate gamblers think they can get away without paying up when they lose.

My most valued friend. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-10-17 16:16:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post