from 1969 - Polk Salad Annie by Tony Joe White
by mkovac (2019-10-18 15:24:44)

You can call his guitar style Delta Blues, Swamp Rock. Whatever. But he sure could play his guitar.

3 versions. First, black and white (poor quality, the version that we all listened to back then); then a better quality audio, with a bass player and a drummer; and finally, Elvis's version, complete with pure Elvis moves.

here's a version Tony did with the Foo Fighters
by Irishted  (2019-10-18 15:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Think it was one of Letterman's last shows.

I recently learned where the name Foo Fighters came from
by mkovac  (2019-10-18 16:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a name World War 2 pilots attributed to UFOs

Also from the old Smokey Stover comic strip
by sprack  (2019-10-18 17:49:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That term for UFOs came from the strip, in fact, not the other way around.

In every strip there were nonsense words, usually "Foo" and "Notary Sojac". I'm not sure what drugs the cartoonist Bill Holman was on, but they must have been fun.

Trippy *
by mkovac  (2019-10-18 20:42:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should be "Poke Salad" - salad made from pokeweed
by sprack  (2019-10-18 15:36:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is not a salad named after the 11th president of the United States.

Yes, I know, Tony Joe White did use "Polk". It's always bugged me.

Interesting.
by mkovac  (2019-10-18 15:54:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw that when researching the song, but used the name put on the sleeve of his record.

Poke sallet *
by Manor76  (2019-10-18 15:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

* This. (link)
by Jess  (2019-10-18 21:49:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Question about that song
by crazychester  (2019-10-18 15:35:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw either a movie or a TV show where the main character is in vegas and he befriends an Elvis who has lost his confidence and insticts and is at the mercy of the colonel but doesn't know if he can trust him. At some point the protagonist is watching him perform this song in Vegas.

What the hell am I thinking of ? It's been driving me crazy for months. Was it an episode of Mad Men ?

Found it !
by crazychester  (2019-10-18 16:00:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was an episode of the short lived Scorcese/HBO show Vinyl

Episode basically revolved around the filing of these shows

A period I'd refer to a s plump Elvis. Damn he could bring it.

There was an episode of "Vinyl" that featured Elvis
by mkovac  (2019-10-18 15:58:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I don't think it was related to what you mention.

At any rate, "Vinyl" was pretty good.

Nope that was it *
by crazychester  (2019-10-18 16:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always liked that song.
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-10-18 15:32:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was surprised many years ago when I first learned that Tony Joe was actually, well, white.