A Reply to Everything (but mostly Star Wars)
by Vermin05 (2020-01-13 18:38:11)
Edited on 2020-01-14 09:10:43

In reply to: First Disney World Thread of 2020  posted by ravenium

Kudos if you figured out that ride reference, but I have experienced Star Wars Galaxy Edge and I can help. I do plan on updating that thread but I currently have an AP to Disney World and while I will be visiting 2 more rides will be opening (Rattatioule in Epcot this summer, Mickey's Runaway Railroad in the Studios this March) and a new night show will be debuting (Epcot's horribly titled HarmonioUS) that I was going to hold off. Also, there is currently a temporary virtual queue for Rise of the Resistance that will eventually be stopped, but they seem to have extended this into March so I'll give you the 411 based on the current operating procedure (warning its a major pain in the ass.)

However, before we get to Star Wars, some general replys to you. I never said dont get in a line greater then 30 min, I said think about it and do it rarely. I said never get in a line greater then 1 hour. I still stand by that, but I would ammend that to state feel free to get in line at closing no matter the wait. However, if you want to get on Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run you may need to break that rule once, but Ill cover that later.

EMH and how to use it:

Currently DHS, MK and Epcot offer Extra Magic Hours in the Evening for 2 hours after close on Sun, Wed and Tues respectively. DHS Evening EMH is brand new this month, I dont know if Ill ever use it though as my trips generally end on Sundays and I have a personal rule that I must end my trip at MK or Epcot. I highly suggest utilizing the other two parks though if you are a night owl and following my plan on how best to utilize evening EMH. You can get on every major ride in Epcot, and 75% of the big rides at MK in those 2 hours if you know how to use it.

When it comes to morning EMH I generally do not use it because of the crowd issues mentioned below and because I close parks and dont enjoy early openings if I have a choice in the matter. The one exception I have to this rule however is AK. Some of my best safari rides have occured during EMH as the animals are more active at dawn. I will generally make sure I do AK's EMH. If you are not going to take advantage of a park's morning EMH avoid that park on that day.

Okay, now onto the part you have been waiting for, Star Wars Galaxy's Edge (aka Battu.) The Black Spire Outpost contains 2 major E ticket rides, Rise of the Resistance and Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run, a quick service resturant (Docking Bay 7,) a Cantina, and numerous shops. It sounds like you are a Star Wars nerd, do yourself a favor and get a Cantina reservation, its worth it. There are two experiences when I truely felt like I was in a Star Wars movie and the Cantina is one of them.

The other time I felt like I was in the movie, was in riding Rise of the Resistance. This is the ride that just opened in December and is the ride where you join the resistance, get captured by a First Order Star Destroyer and Kylo Ren and then have to escape. To get further into the plot would spoil too much, but this ride is amazing. Ive only ridden it twice, so Im not comfortably stating its my favorite non coaster ride yet, but unless my next few runs disappoint me in a ways I dont currently expect its going to end up there. Whats amazing from a theme park nerd perspective is that there is nothing truely new technology wise, it simply how they put everything together to create an incredible experience. The effect that wowed me the most was there is a point in the ride when you are caught in blaster fire and there is a practical effect that makes it look like a blaster bolt flies through the air just like they do in the movie, its amazing, you need to experience it.

Now to the bad about this ride, it is currently a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS to get on. Disney is employing a virtual queue to get on this ride because it has frequent down times and is currently not running at full capacity when it is up, the guaranteed virtual queue positions have filled within 5 minutes of park opening and backup groups will fill less then 2 hours after opening. In order to secure a booking here is what you have to do:

-You must be through the ticket gates prior to opening, and Disney Buses may not get you there in time. My plan for when I go in a month is that I will be at my bus stop 90 min before park opening, if a bus does not pick me up witin 30-40 min I will be getting a lyft to Hollywood Studios.
-Once you have scanned in, turn off your phone to reset everything, when back up turn off wifi, and the moment that the clock strikes the top of the hour on your phone open the Disney app. On the first page click on the Rise of the Resistance tab that pops up and follow the procedure to get a boarding group, and pay that the force is with you.
-When it comes time your app will push a notification you can join the line and you have 2 hours to do so (so you dont have to stay in the park.)
-If you cant guess by now, I highly recommend you do this at least once (Im forgoing a morning at Epcot and doing this twice again during my 6 day trip) as it is defiantly worth it.

Ok, Smuggler's Run, Ive ridden this quite a few times (>20 times) and I unfortunately am extremely disappointed with this ride that fails as a video game and a simulator (too easy for the former, too mild for the later) unless you are a pilot. Only 1/3rd of everyone who rides get to be the pilot (the other two positions are gunner and engineer.) By far the best part of this ride is seeing the amazing Hondo animatronic and then getting to hang out in the chess room, the ride itself is a let down. Also, unlike Star Tours there is only one mission you go on so after your first ride you know exactly what is coming as well.

Due to this ride being so disappointing I cannot recommend this as your first ride of the day, because if I do that you will not be able to ride Slinky Dog Dash which is a far better attraction (sure its a mild roller coaster but personally a mild roller coaster will always be preferable to a disappointing simulator.) I personally will use the single rider line when I ride this ride as it usually has a <20 min wait but I do not recommend going that way for your first run for two reasons, you skip Hondo and you are virtually assured of getting the engineer role. So here are my two recommendations: wait to do this ride at closing or wait in the middle of the day.

Due to this ride not having fastpass and a pretty impressive capacity this line is constantly moving, and if the queue is completely full and Disney is not sending you backstage the line is about 1 hour. Look to the right of the entrance, the line will loop around this metal wall, walk to it and see if the line goes through a giant gate back there, if its open the line is much longer and not worth it but if its closed, get in line. Disney will tell you it is longer, but they lie and inflate lines all the time.

After you meet Hondo, you will be sent down another hallway to be sorted. When you get to the greeter, I strongly suggest politely asking to be the pilot even if you have to wait longer, they will accommodate you. Once you have your position go explore the chess room while you wait for your color to be called. When it does, and if you want to be Han (and control the hyperspace lever) be sure to line up on the right side pilot symbol. In addition to controlling lightspeed, you will move the Falcon up and down and start up the engines. Chewy's spot controls right and left, boost and brakes.

Finally here is my updated suggestions for a rope dropping Hollywood Studios:

-If you are trying to ride Rise of the Resistance you need to be through the entrance gate prior to opening time, if you are relying on Disney transportation get to the bus station 90 min before opening. If the bus does not arrive prior to 60 min I strongly suggest finding another way to get to the park (Lyft)
-Move as far down Hollywood Blvd as you can, try to stay to the center right, your first destination is going to be Toy Story Land. Look for the employees in bright primary colors, they will be leading you to Andy's Backyard at opening and you will be walking while on your phone so just be prepared.
-Once you are through the gates turn your phone off and on (to clear all the cookies and ensure its the fastest it can be)
-Turn off your wifi and rely on your cell service
-Do not open the WDW app until exactly the top of the hour
-As soon as it boots up, near the bottom left will be either a button that says find out more or join boarding group pick the latter if that button is there, otherwise pick find out more as sometimes the boarding group button is only located on the "find out more" page. If for some reason the join the boarding group button is greyed out, upswipe the app and reload it until you can open it. Follow the prompts and join a boarding group. You are now in line for Rise of the Resistance, and the app will send notification to you when your group is called. Usually, if the ride doesnt have any downtown groups smaller then 30 will be called in the first 2 hours, 60 around noon, 90 around 3pm. Once your group is called you have 2 hours to enter the line, but seeing as this ride is unreliable, I strongly suggest heading there ASAP once you are called (ie if Im in line for a ride and have less then 15 min until I ride Ill still ride and then head over otherwise ill ditch the line Im in)
-As you were doing the boarding group stuff the crowd should have started moving and you should have been walking towards Toy Story Land. Keep following the cast members, and slowly move to the far right, when a line of umbrellas start you are going to be funneled into a line and then go over a bridge to board Slinky Dog Dash, ride.
-After riding, backtrack to the Toy Story Mania entrance, ride
-Head back to the center of the park and then take a wide left from there down Sunset Blvd (look for the Hollywood Tower Hotel aka Tower of Terror and head that way.) Once you get to the end of the street take a left and walk under the headstock of a guitar. Ride Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.
-Walk back to Sunset Blvd and stay straight, curving to the left to get to the Tower of Terror queue, ride. If you are like me and love this ride, I would ride it as much as the line is less then 30 min (I usually can do 3 rides)
-Walk back to the center of the park, walk straight through the plaza towards the Frozen show building, in front of it take a wide left. Walk back to arrive at Star Tours, ride
-Head back into Star Wars line and get in line for the Falcon. Then catch any show you want.

Replies: