In the market for a new oven
by SorinUMOC (2020-02-27 14:34:41)

Moved into my house a few years ago. Previous owners were spenders and had a Viking oven and Thermador fridge, etc. Everything is about 15 years old at this point and the oven has been having repeated problems. My repair guy, who I trust, says it's probably time to just replace it.

Looking for recs as to whether I should stay with a high end type like a Viking or Wolf. They are pretty pricey but I could manage a basic model if I had to. But Consumer Reports doesn't think they are any better than mid-level models like Samsung and LG.

Would also be interested in features that people love like the new induction cooktops. I have used gas for a long time and have always preferred this. Conduction ovens are a feature I like too.

If it matters I love to cook so having a nicer oven is important. But I don't want to spend a fortune if a more reasonable model is just as good.

alternative suggestion ...
by mike-nd  (2020-02-28 10:26:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We updated our kitchen which had a 20+ year old Viking -- and we went with the 36" Wolf with the griddle. It is amazing and we have no complaints.

We debated keeping the Viking but wound up selling it simply because it looked old, and I would have wanted to replace 1 or 2 burners, grates, knobs, etc to make it look and run better.

Why can't the Viking be fixed ? They are pretty simple appliances (unlike refrigerators, dish washers, etc). You can get parts online (the burners can get clogged, corroded, etc).

Careful where you buy it, regardless of the brand.
by epmnet37  (2020-02-28 09:50:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We bought a new oven from Home Depot last year, and got three defective stoves in a row before we got one that was worth keeping. That's bad enough, but Home Depot isn't actually selling the damn things, they're just drop-shipping them, so they make you deal with the manufacturer directly instead of being any help at all.

We'll never buy an appliance from them again - the hassle isn't worth any price savings over the local guys.

Thanks all
by SorinUMOC  (2020-02-28 09:35:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Wolf recommendations are helpful. Its nice to know it has a good following. I really don't need the griddle or grill functions as I have plenty of alternatives for these tasks.

Im going shopping this weekend to a high end appliance store and I will see what they have to offer.

Get a microwave and be done with it. *
by doolinbanjos  (2020-02-27 22:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The toaster oven is the superior appliance
by HScorpio  (2020-02-27 23:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seriously, I don't know why it isn't considered more unless you have family of 5+. Much faster, and does whatever you need.

Set it and forget it! *
by inigomontoya  (2020-02-28 08:37:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey, hey, hey!!!
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 09:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a rotisserie damn it!

Consider Blue Star as well (link)
by Grace91  (2020-02-27 20:18:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, the FAA is gonna rule it was a manufacturing flaw
by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-27 20:43:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the door latch mechanism. I kept telling 'em it wasn't maintenance, it was those goddamn greedy manufacturers out in Cincinnati. And I was right. It gets us out from under suspension. We'll get those new routes to Pittsburgh and Boston and the equipment we need. We're gonna compete with the big boys now.

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel *
by PrivateJoker  (2020-02-27 21:24:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While the love for Wolf is legit, remember
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-27 19:44:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you’re also paying for the pleasure of the name.

The link below has some solid recs.

ndwifemom is one of the few people I know that like the middle grill. For a lot of things they smoke up your house and can be a bitch to clean. A griddle would probably be of more use to you if you would like one. You said you love to cook which leads me to believe your grilling needs would be handled by better means than a stovetop provides.

Just my 2 cents. Bon Appétit!

see this link (link)
by discNDav  (2020-02-27 15:15:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We got the 30" Wolf with convection oven
by Wooderson  (2020-02-27 14:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No complaints so far. Works on either propane or Nat Gas, not sure which you have. The oven is awesome.

Second Wolf
by buffaloirish  (2020-02-27 15:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have the 36" Wolf gas range and oven. The oven has a convection feature. The range has 6 burners (in a previous house we had a similar range with four burners and a middle infrared grill (which I found useless). The thing works great; six burners really give you a lot of flexibility.

The oven is cavernous and very consistent with its temperature. It does take a while to heat up.

You probably know this, but if you get a large range, you're going to want a properly matched ventilation hood. We went with a Vent-a-hood.

Third wolf
by carroll2005  (2020-02-27 17:42:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have a 6 burner with a griddle instead of the grill. The griddle I highly recommend.

It’s built like a tank and works great. Temperature regulation on the burners is sooo much better than my previous range.

Another vote for Wolf. We have convection with
by ndwifemom  (2020-02-27 18:07:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

center grill, not griddle on top. Grill Does an amazing job, but smokes a lot even with high powered fan. Great for low fat items like chicken breast, which I make in bulk for lunches, salads, etc.

Teen Wolf
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-27 17:49:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Teen Wolf Too
by voidoid  (2020-02-27 18:54:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jason Bateman is in college on a boxing scholarship!? Come on. Get outta here with that shit.