Car repair advice needed - catalytic converter
by Ryno (2020-02-27 18:13:32)

2003 Camry with 200k miles. 6 cylinder. Son's car at college. Error Code P0420, basically saying the cc is bad. Two questions - a friend who runs a transmission shop says the part shouldn't be more than $250-300, and with labor it should be a $450-500 repair. A quick google search says the "average repair cost" on a older Camry averages $1100-1300. Any mechanics out there know what a safe estimate would be? Secondly, another mechanic over the phone says it still could just be an O2 sensor, in spite of the code. Any input would be appreciated.

$15 for an OBD 2 scanner on Amazon.
by Wooderson  (2020-02-28 08:04:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plug it in, clear the code, and be done with it.

I get the P0420 code often enough on my 2000 4Runner, and yet for the 5 years now that I've been clearing the code, the thing seems to still work fine. Only 155k miles though.

Autozone and Advance Auto will read/ clear a code for free *
by 88_92WSND  (2020-02-28 09:37:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Read yes, but no necessarily clear. At least all the
by az_irish_devil  (2020-02-28 15:05:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Autozones I've visited recently. They used to clear but I think they've changed their minds about clearing codes (liability?). If you really wanted to get a code cleared you could still ask.

Same here.
by Dutch  (2020-02-28 16:24:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The last time I had an issue, they refused to clear the code and told me it was against company policy.

I believe that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will still clear codes on most older cars, however.

Yes, but then you have to go to those places.
by Tanaquil  (2020-02-28 13:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For people like me who drive cars into the ground, a code reader/clearer is almost a necessity. I wouldn't go to Autozone to clear a code all the time.

Our mechanic told us not to fix it
by Tanaquil  (2020-02-28 07:39:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's annoying because the check engine light is almost always on, and how would we know if something else starts going on.

But he said it's expensive to fix and doesn't really affect things, so leave it alone.

I just had one replace on a Dodge Caravan
by elginirish  (2020-02-27 23:57:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It cost about $900. It doesn't matter in your case but I realized too late that it would have been covered under warranty but the non dealer shop I brought it to never mentioned that. I held off until I needed an emissions test and at that point I was over the miles for the catalytic converter which was less than the drivetrain warranty . I will definitely keep track of what is covered in the future and at what miles.

Do you live in an area that requires emissions testing?
by Dutch  (2020-02-27 22:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If not, just ignore it.

03 Toyota with 200k?
by gozer  (2020-02-27 21:57:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It lived a good life. Park it on a train track, report it stolen in a few days. Not sure what fair is on the repair offf the top of my head but it depends on which cat it is and how much of a pain in the ass it is to reach it, and on what else may need to come out to actually pull the thing off the car. There are times when I think Toyota hires their engineers from a pool of guys who got fired by Audi for needlessly making things difficult.

Also, there’s a decent chance the code will go away after 3 trips. Might come back in a week, might come back in a year.

Check to see if the catalytic converter was stolen *
by Johnnysalami  (2020-02-27 21:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or, find another Toyota and get one yourself.. *
by 88_92WSND  (2020-02-28 00:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had that code, and it was an O2 sensor
by HScorpio  (2020-02-27 21:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously your results may be different, but when I was at ND my car started getting half the gas mileage it used it. Went from ~400 miles a tank to ~250. Also was accelerating a lot slower. I took it to AutoZone and they ran the codes for free, and that's what it was. I remember because it was a pain in the ass to find a mechanic who would work on it in South Bend (It was a 10 year old Audi - not my smartest purchase, but still the most fun car I've owned. I don't own any, now).

But yeah, it was the O2 sensor that had gone bad. According to the guy who fixed it, that resulted in an incorrect mix of fuel and oxygen in the engine, or something like that, which caused the gas mileage to plummet. I know nothing about cars. Ended up costing me a couple hundred bucks.

Don't tell AOC or Greta, but get an odb ii plug-in scanner
by breffni  (2020-02-27 21:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And install Torque app on cell phone. Pair devices, scan for codes, clear codes. Cost around $20-25.
It's an emissions problem, won't really effect how the car runs. Whenever check engine light comes back on, scan and clear again.

I just had a catalytic converter go on 2 cars within a month
by FaytlND  (2020-02-27 20:43:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2011 Cadillac SRX: $1900

2010 Mazda 3: ~$1200

So I would definitely guess it's in the $1k range. As far as I'm aware, the issue isn't the part cost. They require quite a bit of labor to replace, which drives up the price.

No clue on the O2 sensor issue. But I know that in both cases for us there was no doubt that it was the catalytic converter causing the issue once the mechanic (whom we trust, and has always been fair) looked at it.

Try clearing the code and see if it comes back.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-02-27 20:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It probably will but sometimes old cars throw codes.

Problem is with your Trilon manifold not catalytic converter
by Frank Drebin  (2020-02-27 20:34:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You better have a rainy day jar in your kitchen as this will cost you some serious coin

Part Cost $200 or so Labor $500 or so
by Hatchet Man  (2020-02-27 19:05:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That code is nearly always a cat. You have two on that car. For one side I would expect to pay $750 for the work, $1,500 for both. Your code is just for one side, but the other side will likely need replacement in the future. You can do them yourself but it is not a fun project.