Does anyone here use Audible?
by elginirish (2020-02-28 00:38:20)

The thread on fantasy books has me wanting to get through some of the series that I haven't read. I have not been reading a lot lately but do listen to a lot of podcasts, which I think would translate well into audio books. I have never listened to an audio book but Audible intrigues me. I am curious what others think of the service and if they think it is worth $15 per month? I have a lot of time to listen while I am on the train am not sure one book a month will be enough.

There's a "free" listen this month called "Caffeine"
by RIBS  (2020-02-28 12:51:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Subscribers are provided access to a handful of "free" (doesn't use a monthly credit) books each month. They are generally very short. One of the February offerings is "Caffeine". It's a long essay about the history of caffeine, its effects on society over the years, and why we consume so much. It's fascinating.

Audible is a fantastic service. I use it more than Netflix. And I love the fact that you own the books permanently.

Love Audible
by Allumeuse  (2020-02-28 12:46:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't see this mentioned yet, but personally I think the best deal on Audible is that you can use a single credit to download an entire Great Courses series. It is a pretty steep discount over getting access to them via GC or other apps.

I have used this to download and listen to literally hundreds of hours of lectures on everything from personal finance, economics, art history, philosophy and great works of literature. I highly recommend this for long commutes since most lectures are close to an hour.

Loved it when I commuted almost 2 hours round trip. *
by johnnysalami  (2020-02-28 11:15:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They also have a two book per month plan
by Boston Domer  (2020-02-28 09:41:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which is $22.95 per month or $229.50 per year if you're worried about running out of books to listen to.

There is also an unpublished "silver" plan which is $14.95 every other month.

Audible is great, but check with your local library too.
by xChicagoIrish  (2020-02-28 09:39:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As others have mentioned, many libraries use The Overdrive app for ebooks and audiobooks. It's not a great app, but anywhere you can use Overdrive, you can also use the Libby app. It's much easier to use and still accesses your library account.

Most of the books I want, I can get for free from the library. For the books I can't get there, I use the monthly audible credit.

Same. Libby app is great. Also...
by Cash  (2020-02-28 12:04:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... you can use Overdrive to request your library get audiobooks that they don’t yet have. Ours is remarkably responsive.

Cash

The problem is only 1 person can usually rent a copy
by HScorpio  (2020-02-28 10:05:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at a time. So it depends a lot on how busy your local library is, and how many copies they've "purchased" of each audiobook. Popular books and new releases at mine usually have a long waiting list.

Sometimes you can belong to a non-local library as well
by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-28 13:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, I reside in the state of New York, but no near NYC. However, both the NY Public Library and the Brooklyn Public Library are open to any resident of the state, so I can borrow from their collections in addition to my (more limited) local library.

That's the "physical" copy - some have digital files
by NDoggie78  (2020-02-28 12:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And using online apps you can download books as well.

I love reading, but have never listened to an audiobook. *
by Barrister  (2020-02-28 09:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Adventures of Tom Stranger: Interdimensional Insurance
by Lambconnection  (2020-02-28 08:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agent

It's an audible original. It's very tongue in cheek with a strong Libertarian bent to it, and is certainly not particularly high brow or intellectual. But it's the most entertaining thing I've listened to in years. Only available on Audible I believe. Link is below:

Love audible - only wish it was unlimited per month
by NDoggie78  (2020-02-28 08:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But as PB mentioned, check online, there are many library sources where you can download books (some older and not as good quality - copied from cassette tapes - but still listenable). Also check your local library as they may have audiobooks you can check out.

With the deficient content of over the air radio, I listen ("read"?) audiobooks anytime I am in my car, on my iphone anytime I am exercising, anytime I am on a plane, so I usually have 2 books going at the same time. Basically, I always have an audiobook with me.

I find when I sit down, get comfortable, to read a printed book, I doze off. Audiobooks have the opposite effect - they keep me awake

Love it and worth it
by irishlawyer  (2020-02-28 06:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I commute about 2 hours a day and I'd be lost without it.

If you get it, the Spellmonger series is great.

I have used Audible and Overdrive (free through libraries)
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-02-28 01:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I stopped using Overdrive completely. Audible's quality is phenomenal. I never take a trip (car or plane) without something being ready.

It's great for fiction and non-fiction.

Same here. Although I still use Overdrive some.
by RagingBull  (2020-02-28 06:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem is that anybody can get a library card so it's impossible to get a free downlaod.

I'll listen to anything read by Edward Herrmann.

Impossible to get a free download?
by 88_92WSND  (2020-02-28 09:36:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm routinely having to renew books because I've got more than I can get through during the three week checkout period? I've got accounts with three libraries which means that even when the collections librarian at one chain didn't think it odd to have books 1,2, and 4 of a series, the odds are very high that one of the others has it.

The longest I've ever waited for a book on hold was about 2 months, and that was for a new best seller (Bosch series). And starting next month, you can stagger your holds - so if you want to delay getting a book, you can defer to the next person in line, but still stay in line for the book.

I'm not interested in romance novels and diet books.
by RagingBull  (2020-02-28 12:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But OK - I'll give it another shot.

Might be your library, then
by 88_92WSND  (2020-02-28 12:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looking back through my recent history:
Neal Stephenson, Loonshots, SM Stirling's "change" series, "Lethal White", Jack Campbell's two new series, new Harry Bosch novel, the Destroyerman series.

One trick I used when I started was to keep an eye on authors or novels that were coming out in the future, and put the hold on then (our libraries put the books in the collection before they are available) -

We use 3 library systems' (state, local, and regional) collections for a broader selection.

I love audible
by four pillars  (2020-02-28 01:08:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I joined two years ago and have listened to over 200 books. It’s Amazon so if I download a book I don’t like right away then I get a refund and find another. They have a pretty massive library of titles as well as audible exclusive books. I think they do a free month as a trial so just do that and make your decision. The $15/month fee comes with one free book per month so it’s essentially free.