Audible is great, but check with your local library too.
by xChicagoIrish (2020-02-28 09:39:02)

In reply to: Does anyone here use Audible?  posted by elginirish

As others have mentioned, many libraries use The Overdrive app for ebooks and audiobooks. It's not a great app, but anywhere you can use Overdrive, you can also use the Libby app. It's much easier to use and still accesses your library account.

Most of the books I want, I can get for free from the library. For the books I can't get there, I use the monthly audible credit.

Same. Libby app is great. Also...
by Cash  (2020-02-28 12:04:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... you can use Overdrive to request your library get audiobooks that they don’t yet have. Ours is remarkably responsive.

Cash

The problem is only 1 person can usually rent a copy
by HScorpio  (2020-02-28 10:05:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at a time. So it depends a lot on how busy your local library is, and how many copies they've "purchased" of each audiobook. Popular books and new releases at mine usually have a long waiting list.

Sometimes you can belong to a non-local library as well
by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-28 13:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, I reside in the state of New York, but no near NYC. However, both the NY Public Library and the Brooklyn Public Library are open to any resident of the state, so I can borrow from their collections in addition to my (more limited) local library.

That's the "physical" copy - some have digital files
by NDoggie78  (2020-02-28 12:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And using online apps you can download books as well.