Question about JFK Airport
by VT2ND (2020-02-28 09:39:59)

Does anyone know if TSA will let you through security to access a lounge in a terminal other than the one from which your flight is departing? I am flying out of Terminal 8 in the evening in early April, but have lounge access in terminals 1, 4, and 7. The setup there is unfortunately really crappy and it appears that you have to leave and re-enter security if you want to move terminals.

Unfortunately, my itinerary has me arriving at LGA in the morning, so I will be arriving at JFK pre-security. I suspect that the answer is "no," but wanted to be sure about it.

You should go to the TWA Hotel instead, and lounge
by voidoid  (2020-02-28 13:27:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in their lobby. It's f-ing amazing. Sure, you'd have to pay for drinks, but you'd be paying for drinks inside the Eero Saarinen terminal or aboard a classic Lockheed Constellation. It is accessed from Terminal 5 (JetBlue.)

Thirded. I stayed at the hotel a few months ago
by ConnorMacManus  (2020-02-28 16:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's an extraordinary piece of architecture that anyone coming through JFK should make a point of walking through.

The restaurant in the TWA Terminal is pretty good as well, and the balconies have some fun exhibits about the history of air travel that are worth checking out.

Do this. It's awesome.
by Wooderson  (2020-02-28 14:55:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And no, you usualyl can't go to lounges in terminals you don't have a boarding pass for. All air-side terminal to terminal transpo is essentially nil, save the bus from T2 to T4 since Delta owns both.

That's actually a really cool idea.
by VT2ND  (2020-02-28 14:43:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am going to be arriving at JFK with a couple of hours to kill before I can check in, so I might just do that. Thank you for the idea!

It's way better than any Priority Pass lounge!
by voidoid  (2020-02-28 16:05:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you're arriving by car you can get dropped off directly to the hotel; the motorcourt usually has a number of classic 1960s vehicles parked out front.

If you are taking the AirTrain, go to the JetBlue Terminal 5 and look for the signs. You take a quick elevator ride then take the skybridge across. (This is how you will get to Terminal 8 for your flight.)

No! *
by other_guy  (2020-02-28 12:56:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which lounges?
by Siegfried08  (2020-02-28 12:04:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounds like you might be trying to use Priority Pass. If so, I believe the T4 lounge is pre-security.

No, they're both airside. I've been to Wingtips.
by VT2ND  (2020-02-28 13:03:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you're correct, I am trying to use PriorityPass.

No way unless you want to do another round of check in *
by Frank Drebin  (2020-02-28 10:14:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not what I'm asking.
by VT2ND  (2020-02-28 10:18:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't care about having to pass through security 2x. My concern is going through the hassle of taking the AirTrain from Terminal 8 to another Terminal, only to be denied access at the TSA checkpoint at that terminal.

I think sprack and Frank both answered your question,
by Bluntschli  (2020-02-28 10:29:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just not explicitly. As long as you have a valid boarding pass, you can pass through any TSA check, whether it's your terminal or not. That seems to me what both of them are saying, and that was my understanding as well.

When I've been in other airports (not JFK)
by sprack  (2020-02-28 10:07:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As long as you have a valid ticket, it doesn't matter which terminal you're flying out of. I've done the same thing when I've had long layovers.

The problem may be, though, if you're flying on an airline that isn't the lounge's airline and not in their "alliance" (Star, oneworld, SkyTeam) on at least one leg of your trip, the lounge may not let you in. In fact, it's likely they won't.

Mine isn't airline dependent. The specific problem with JFK
by VT2ND  (2020-02-28 10:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that the terminals are not connected to each other post-security. In some airports, I have been able to clear security in a terminal when they are connected and it is possible to get to my flight from that entry point post-security. In this case, however, there is no way to get to my flight, for example, from Terminal 1 without having to exit security, so I'm not sure how that will be treated.

Have you had that experience where the terminals were not connected?

Have not, but would be very surprised that they check that
by sprack  (2020-02-28 11:26:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who knows though - the three NYC area airports seem to have their own rules sometimes.

Really shouldn't be an issue as long as you have a valid
by S---Alley2  (2020-02-28 10:49:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

boarding pass. I've frequently gone through security at a different terminal than I'm flying from. Granted, they are usually connected, but I don't see why it would be an issue.

Not sure, but buy a refundable ticket for the terminal you
by MrPlumbean  (2020-02-28 09:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

want to lounge in. Get in, then cancel it.

A lot of hassle and questionable ethics to eat free snacks. *
by squid  (2020-02-28 10:26:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you typically purchase and cancel them the day of? And
by VT2ND  (2020-02-28 10:01:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after having been issued a boarding pass? You need the boarding pass to clear TSA.