Retired today
by MukIrish (2020-02-28 11:45:32)

Finally. Though this market situation is testing my resolve. I think I may need to look for some supplemental work. Does anyone have a good link to or recommendation on oligarch training? I think I am well suited for that as my next move.

Congratulations! As a former ND classmate’s father said to
by so-it-goes  (2020-02-28 16:35:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

him when he retired about retirement "if it wasn't for Church on Sundays, every day is a Saturday"

Enjoy, curently inching up on seven years retired,

7 months and 8 days
by ky_mick  (2020-02-28 16:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that I'm counting.

Congratulations!

Enjoy...
by Kbyrnes  (2020-02-28 16:11:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Sounds like you have some good things lined up.

3 months. Then I'm looking to become a factotum. *
by PWK2  (2020-02-28 15:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not bad for a 29 year old...congrats *
by irishrock  (2020-02-28 14:28:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's a bitch turning 29 for the 30th time... *
by MukIrish  (2020-02-28 14:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congrats! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-02-28 14:24:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How do you plan to spend your time, besides oligarching
by enduff  (2020-02-28 14:15:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course

well...
by MukIrish  (2020-02-28 14:33:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

making our 20 acres in the mountains of NE Washington "fire safe" - lots of chainsaw time (this is literally 2 more years of work)... painting a garage, building an outdoor kitchen/pizza oven, renovating a different garage... and 30 other similar projects

fishing, skiing, hiking, camping - maybe restart my golf addition (maybe)

starting next week with Habitat For Humanity laborer jobs - I'm not very good but I work hard

lots of travel --- New Zealand, Scotland, Norway at the top of the list

being a house-husband ---- cooking and cleaning for my wife (I love to cook, but again am not very good at it... yet)

hating Michigan, SC, Miami, OSU, and the usual others...

Sounds awesome. Are you up in Colville?
by mocopdx  (2020-02-28 17:12:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've spent a good chunk of time in the Northern Cascades, Ross Lake, Winthrop, etc. Never made it up as far as Colville area though. Any suggestions?

That's pretty much my dream retirement. *
by doug dascenzo  (2020-02-28 16:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Check out pizza making.com
by tm8838  (2020-02-28 16:06:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For a wealth of information about making pizza at home as well as information on home pizza ovens.

Recommendation for cooking: Cooks Illustrated
by anthro_domer  (2020-02-28 15:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Subscription. I've had one for ten years or so and love it. They explain a lot of the detail in how they construct a recipe, so you get an understanding of the "why" in cooking. They are not the most creative of recipes (they mostly try to make "perfect" versions of classics) but a subscription should keep you busy. Comparatively, I just started a bon appetit subscription and while it's fine, I still greatly prefer Cooks.

Second *
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 17:31:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That sounds pretty awesome.
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-02-28 15:30:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll meet you there in 10 years.

That sounds fantastic! Congrats on making the transition
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-02-28 15:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on your terms. I bet you start aging in reverse, with all that activity.

Awesome. Enjoy it. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-02-28 14:10:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congratulations! I would plan my supplemental work around my
by 1NDGal  (2020-02-28 14:07:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fun. Whatever fits in between travel, golf, friends, and quiet time.

You’ve earned the right to put YOU first.

As to your request for recommendation — I think being an oligarch is a state of mind. Just decide you are. So, congratulations again, Grand Poobah MukIrish.

Congrats! *
by discNDav  (2020-02-28 13:46:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I retired about 19 months ago. I got tired of my
by 1978Irish  (2020-02-28 13:31:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

boss. I went back part time 3 days a week with a former employer. After 4 months they hired a person full time so I retired again. After 2 weeks someone offered me another 3 day a week job which I have done for 10 months. I am thinking that when the weather gets nice it might be time to really retire.

I retired. Was asked if I miss working to which I responded
by other_guy  (2020-02-28 12:55:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I would miss retirement!" It's a great life . . . go out and do things, and keep doing!

You're like the guy in "Office Space".
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-02-28 13:57:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha ha ha . . . I'm still laughing at that. Good one!!!!!! *
by other_guy  (2020-02-29 11:46:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't just become a receipt checker at Walmart. Hold out
by Irish Tool  (2020-02-28 12:08:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for Costco to post an opening.

Well done. If the sentence "don't work here anymore."
by dbldomer7375  (2020-02-28 12:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Begins with "I" rather than "You" I would say that's the way to make a happy exit.

It will probably take you a year or two to figure out how to address your "post career lifestyle." In terms of post career employment are you interested in something resembling a professional job, or are you more interested in the "greens fee and beer money" weekly paycheck? In the meantime ponder the significance of what you want to do and then go do it.

I took the greens fee and beer money route and will soon be starting my third year working at a local golf course. It's a pretty good gig.

Welcome to your post career life.

I’m moonlighting as a part-time henchman.
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 12:03:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m the evening apprentice program so the pay isn’t so hot right now.

2 years and I’ll get my Union card.

Hope to make it long enough to get that pension, though the number of guys that do is shockingly small.

Does it involve you wearing a mask and a matching
by HennaOrNo  (2020-02-28 16:48:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sweatshirt with a question mark on it? Or a bowler hat with a sweatshirt that reads “Henchman”?

During the hazing, yes. I’ve moved up to black leather
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 17:32:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

jacket and modest gold chain.

Is that easier than working your way up from minion? *
by 88_92WSND  (2020-02-28 12:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. You really get into more of the craft and nuance of
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 13:25:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the business.

Congrats. If i may pry, what did you do for work? *
by lenny97  (2020-02-28 11:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was responsible for a large business unit
by MukIrish  (2020-02-28 12:48:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in a Fortune 500 company. It has been a combination of high stress and exhilaration over the years. I will miss both - but ready to do other things while both my marriage and health are intact - especially becoming an oligarch.

Congrats! Hope I’m not too far behind you. *
by IAND75  (2020-02-28 11:57:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congratulations. *
by Ryno  (2020-02-28 11:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post