Church denies child with autism First Communion.
by OCND (2020-02-28 15:25:27)

I've often wondered what the range of experiences of parents with disabled children is when it comes to administration of the sacraments. Admittedly, this is but one data point, but it did further spark my curiosity.

Just saw that they reversed their position...
by NJND96  (2020-02-28 18:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

said it was, "a misunderstanding".

Our 13-yr old son with Down syndrome made his first
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-02-28 17:45:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy Communion 2-3 years ago. I credit my wife and the woman with the parish (a friend of ours) with the very basic instructions he got.

He is significantly delayed so I don't know that he *really* understands he is receiving Our Lord, but maybe he does, and maybe Our Lord's grace is working in him in ways we won't fully understand until the next life. He receives Holy Communion and then drinks of the Precious Blood as well.

No, he has never been on Confession and I don't see that happening anytime soon, but he's really guiltless of his actions.

That’s awesome! Prayers for him and his parents. *
by Newt  (2020-02-29 21:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes the Church just doesn't get it. WWJD. *
by cpg89  (2020-02-28 15:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can share my family's experience.
by captaineclectic  (2020-02-28 15:45:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My youngest sister, who is no longer a child, has a global developmental delay that renders her in many ways similar to a high-functioning person with Down Syndrome. Her IQ, when properly tested, shows up around 70 -- she can do arithmetic and can read at an adult level, although it's not enjoyable for her to do so.

In addition, she has a physical issue that prevents her from consuming solid foods, a bit of a challenge when it comes to the host.

My mother worked with the Archdiocese of Detroit through intermediaries and arrived at the following solution: after instruction in the Sacrament to the point at which she could articulate an extremely basic understanding (given that no one can articulate a fully satisfactory understanding), she was deemed prepared to receive the Sacrament. She receives the host in hand and licks it. A fragment of the host contains the Real Presence, so this is deemed sufficient consumption. My mother or father, whomever is accompanying her, then consumes the remainder of the host. (She typically does not consume the wine; she'd be apt to spill it, which, even when done innocently, is problematic.)

With the Archbishop's approval, this arrangement gained ready acceptance. When my parents relocated to Texas, they had someone communicate with someone at their new parish to explain the arrangement, and I suppose the same was relayed to the proper bishop, and no objection was interposed.

Anyway they normally go, the Eucharistic ministers recognize her, so it's no big deal. It has caused some awkwardness when they travel, though.

I’m not Catholic therefore I’m not familiar
by 93NationalChampions  (2020-02-29 16:29:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With what much of this means but I know a good story when I hear one.

That is awesome
by IrishChili  (2020-02-28 23:34:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish I had half the faith of your sister. Good for your mom and dad for making this happen. And good for you for sharing what is sometimes perceived as awkward.

Pretty sure this is a violation of canon law
by austin316  (2020-02-28 15:30:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s on par with dioceses who make people pass tests in order to receive confirmation

Yeah
by HTownND  (2020-02-28 17:04:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If someone can get all those Canonical Lawyers to stop processing divorce paper work, they could be all over this one.

I also, was not surprised when I saw where it was.