US obesity rate hits 40% up from 30% in 2000 and on its way
by FL_Irish (2020-02-28 15:45:22)

...to 50% by 2030.

I get that BMI is a crude measure, but assuming my math is correct you’d have to be over 200lbs. at 5’9’’ to meet this definition.

To what should one attribute every increasing obesity rates?

Yet we constantly hear we're plagued by "food insecurity".
by PWK2  (2020-02-29 09:58:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As in: where is my next Twinky coming from?

Glad I could help *
by NDFlyer  (2020-02-29 00:02:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sugar=obesity *
by Cal  (2020-02-28 16:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sugar is the enemy *
by wcnitz  (2020-02-28 18:17:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is the correct answer. *
by cincysubdomer  (2020-02-29 06:31:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power,
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 19:20:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then you get the women.

Sugar creates alcohol *
by DakotaDomer  (2020-02-28 19:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But rain makes corn *
by doolinbanjos  (2020-02-28 22:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Technically, the yeast create alcohol. Sugar is just food
by TAR  (2020-02-28 20:04:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For happy yeast.

sugar (legalized crack), wheat everything, carbs
by SEE  (2020-02-28 17:10:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that get turned right into fat.

We have been eating wheat for millennia and the biggest
by Jeash  (2020-02-28 20:15:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

change in that wheat is increased protein levels. Sugar is relatively new, I know that’s my Achilles heal in my diet, mainly soda.

Have you tried switching to diet soda?
by PWK2  (2020-02-29 10:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I probably drink 30 diet sodas for every 1 sugared. But the sugared, I'll admit, taste a lot better.

I have, but that stuff messes with my gut.
by Jeash  (2020-02-29 16:12:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last thing you want as a farmer, that works far away from bathrooms is something that messes with your gut. I just have to suck it up and kick the habit. Soda drinks is my personal heroine.

No cholesterol in white bread
by ProV1x  (2020-02-28 19:28:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so I have four fried chickens and a coke. And some dry white toast.

Actually my lipid panel numbers are very good so I eat what I want and walk a heck of a lot every day. I stumble, bumble, and wobble some but I generally get where I need to be. My lipid panel numbers were good immediately after both of my hemorrhagic strokes but the blood pressure was higher than normal. My secret is chickens, Coke, and dry white toast. Also, prayer, great neuro surgeons, and Irish luck.

Absolute shit food options
by SEE  (2020-02-28 16:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and computers as our friends.

Eating healthy is actually really hard. I've been experimenting with Carnivore diet just to get the crap out.

We weren't designed to consume 90% of the food we eat and we were designed to keep moving.

Is fruitarianism your destiny? *
by The Flash  (2020-02-29 11:15:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."
by NDFanSince81  (2020-02-28 17:21:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The more health claims on the packaging, generally the worse it is. Stick to real foods without labels.

Were we really designed to eat plants?
by SEE  (2020-02-28 17:46:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That they’re available in huge quantities is a relatively new thing. And ear of corn used to be tiny.

Eating meat made our brains big is the latest argument. Not sure how true that is.

I saw a patient this week who has been on the carnivore
by goirish89  (2020-02-28 17:53:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

diet for 18 months. He's down 20 lbs and his blood sugars are better controlled than ever. He was there for intestinal irritation, but pick your poison (literally). I realize this is an n=1, so not real data, but it was timely.

Cross and I tried out the new KFC doughnut chicken
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 16:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sandwich for lunch.

Diet Coke to wash it down. We are not gluttons!

I ask for extra high glucose corn syrup for my DP at KFC *
by K-Rock  (2020-02-28 17:16:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BMI is an absurd measure
by atl_irish  (2020-02-28 16:24:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm 5'10" and "overweight," close to "obese" according to the BMI index. At my height, BMI says I'd be healthy between 129 and 175 lbs. That, however, is absurd.

Even at my college wrestling weight of 167lbs, I'd be close to the "overweight" category. That tells me the BMI measure is deeply flawed.

Yeah - we're being over run by well muscled
by 88_92WSND  (2020-02-29 22:27:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

large men. Throwing the stats off...

“You’re not fat - you’re just big boned” *
by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-29 09:14:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BMI is garbage *
by Raoul  (2020-02-28 21:00:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every linebacker in the NFL is obese, per BMI. *
by PWK2  (2020-02-29 10:02:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So is Mike Trout (based on 6’ 2” 235 lb program listing) *
by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-29 10:13:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What percentage of the population do we imagine exceeds...
by FL_Irish  (2020-02-29 12:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...30 BMI due to their NFL linebacker/MLB all-star physiques?

by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-29 12:59:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The math is the math, but I am skeptical (with no basis besides my own limited observations) that a BMI of 30 or more is the best way to define obesity for the entire population if it indicates 40% of adult Americans are obese.

Not a study, but 538 post on this “BMI is a terrible measure of health”

Partial text:

Taken alone as an indicator of health, the BMI is misleading. A study by researchers at UCLA published this month in the International Journal of Obesity looked at 40,420 adults in the most recent U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and assessed their health as measured by six accepted metrics, including blood pressure, cholesterol and C-reactive protein (a gauge of inflammation). It found that 47 percent of people classified as overweight by BMI and 29 percent of those who qualified as obese were healthy as measured by at least five of those other metrics. Meanwhile, 31 percent of normal-weight people were unhealthy by two or more of the same measures.2 Using BMI alone as a measure of health would misclassify almost 75 million adults in the U.S., the authors concluded.

Waist to Height ratio is generally better ...
by NDFanSince81  (2020-02-28 17:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a decent amount of evidence that the simple ratio of one's waist divided by one's height is a better predictor of risks to health than BMI.

The rationale is that visceral fat carried within one's midsection has more to do with health risks than subcutaneous fat distributed through the body. So a simple waist measurement can carries more valuable information than weight.

In case you're wondering, a ratio of 0.5 is the boundary value above which there are increased health risks. The 'OK' range is 0.4 to 0.5, the 0.5-0.6 range is the 'take care' range, above 0.6 is the 'take action' range.

https://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/05/22/importance-of-waist-circumference-waist-to-height-ratio/

I was pushing 'overweight' via BMI when I was 6-4 and 210
by gordonbombay  (2020-02-28 16:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyone who looked at me at that point would've considered the idea that I was overweight to be utterly absurd on its face.

Probably works ok for shorter people
by gozer  (2020-02-29 00:00:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they divide by the square of height when mass/weight are going to be proportional to some higher exponent(though I think still well under 3... maybe like 2.4)

If a person has any kind of muscle mass
by TerramarIrish  (2020-02-28 16:59:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BMI is going to point toward them being overweight/obese.

So, for athletes it's a particularly bad measure.

Where are they? Of the people I see each day, based on looks
by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-28 16:01:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(not BMI), I'd describe fewer than 20 of the 200 people with whom I work as looking obese. Well under the 80 people a 40% rate suggests.

Granted, most of my co-workers are in a manufacturing environment rather than an office environment, but it is light manual labor and obesity would not disqualify one from being able to do the work.

When I compute the BMI numbers for my height, I've never been at a weight which calculates as "obese," so I can't say if I considered myself to be obese then or in hindsight.

I am curious as to the views of posters who have been or are over the "obese" BMI line

Obesity rates are highly variable by state
by Allumeuse  (2020-02-28 16:49:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know where you live so you may not be seeing them for that reason as well. If I were to go by my office, I would think no one in this country is obese since I am one of the heavier people I work with and I am a normal BMI.

NYC always seems an outlier with these measurements
by goirish89  (2020-02-28 17:58:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know from my visits there that obesity _seems_ to be rare. In general, there's much more walking and activity than the average city. I always notice the general lack of the obese when I'm there.

Where I currently live (peninsular Maryland) the opposite is true. I'm considered somewhat freakish with a 5'11" 165 lb frame. Most here are huge and I mean HUGE. Indiana was the same as was North Carolina. There are wide swaths of this country that are awash in people who get out of breath walking from their car to the store, even if they park in handicapped parking. It's frightening.

From what I’ve seen Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn are
by beancounter  (2020-02-28 18:13:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the outliers. People is the less affluent areas are less thin.

Affluence has a strong correlation IMO.
by Irish Tool  (2020-02-28 19:47:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The two anecdotes in my world:

At daycare, the parents are under 40% and the staff is over 40%. Not an expensive daycare or affluent neighborhood, so it's not a stark contrast, but it's there.

In my last law firm, 10% of the 40 attorneys were obese. Easily over 40% of the 50 staff were. Very stark contrast.

Edit: forgot a couple fat partners.

Bingo. Look at the Bronx.
by EricCartman  (2020-02-28 18:34:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contrast is striking.

Dude. Have a milkshake. *
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 18:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post