Essentially
by Tommy Baseball (2020-02-28 23:03:07)

In reply to: I'm not looking forward to rope dropping  posted by ravenium

I was at Disneyland rather than Hollywood Studios. The groups seem to be going faster out here. Guarenteed groups are gone in under a minute and backup groups gone sometimes as fast as five minutes.

The big problem for us was getting through security. I had heard the Toy Story lot was best, but that was not the case. I would probably go to Mickey & Friends if I did it again. Do not walk in from Harbor. That was worse than the Toy Story line.

You'll want to be in line about an hour before opening to be in the first half of people in(so security 30-45 minutes before that). They seem to be letting people in only 20-30 min before opening time and it take about 20 minutes to clear out the initial line, so being at the back can be a problem.

If possible, have all your tickets already added to the app. If not, know how to add them and do that right away when you get through the gates. Either way, once you are through the gates and have all the tickets entered, force close the app and reopen it. You want a fresh start as this will force a sync to confirm your tickets have been scanned in.

For actually getting the boarding passes some say do an app reset while others say just a refresh of the status page. I can't comment on that as I was through the gates slightly after 8am, so I went straight from the app refresh to joining a group. They key either way is to have a second accurate clock. You want to be opening/refreshing just a second after the top of the hour.

You can practice with the app from home if you want. You can click the join group button and then confirm the members of your party. At that point you'll be told that you aren't in the park, but at least you can see the first two screens.

It sounds like a hassle, but it is very much worth it, and it beats waiting in line for 10 hours.