Not a Colts fan, but there was a hangover from SB III loss..
by Scoop80 (2020-05-04 10:47:55)
Edited on 2020-05-04 10:52:30

In reply to: Wow. Any old Baltimore Colt fans here?  posted by drmurray

I understand that there were subsequent tensions w/ then-owner C. Rosenbloom, and the Colts visibly slumped the next year. J. Robbie (then Fins owner) originally pursued Bear Bryant, and he then pursued Shula when Bryant decided to stay at AL. It's ironic that a SB that soon led to the most important hire in Fins history was played in their home stadium.

Shula was a local icon. I met him after a HS game in 2006 [his grandson/Dave Shula's son was playing]. I think that he made a public appearance at a Fins game last fall. His Fins career had an odd trajectory--they made 6 AFC championship appearances (winning 5 in his first 16 years, but they only made 1 appearance in his last 10).

As an aside, Robbie was a diehard subway alum who sent at least 1 child to ND. I met him on our sideline before the 1/78 Cotton Bowl. He and Shula had a major falling out after Csonka, Kiick & Warfield signed WFL contracts in 1974. The archbishop had to broker a truce between them, and the breach was never really healed.