Police training in the use of deadly force is very simple.
by mkovac (2020-05-29 14:30:13)
Edited on 2020-05-29 14:33:10

What I learned in reserve academy in 1975 is a very simple rule of thumb. It has been only slightly, but meaningfully amended.

The rule of thumb - and something that can be called upon in an instant - that I learned, and which applies to civilians as well as peace officers, is “Do not use deadly force unless you believe you are being immediately threatened with deadly force.”

That was a subjective test.

It’s my understanding that this has been changed to an objective test, to now read, “Do not use deadly force unless you reasonably believe you are being Immediately threatened with deadly force.”

In the case of the Minneapolis police officer who choked the man to death, the officer was not in any way being threatened with immediate deadly force and the knee on the neck that he felt so comfortable using looked like a procedure that he had used many times before, but which looked like an objectively unreasonable application of deadly force.

I’m not sure if he will be charged with murder because intent may not be present, in my opinion, but he may be charged with negligent homicide and a violation of federal Rule 42 U.S.C. 1983 Civil Rights law , like in the Rodney King beating, which allowed the police officers to be sued personally.

This is all my personal opinion.

Replies: