Goddamn, that’s cool. *
by Irishted (2020-05-30 15:23:39)

This user did not provide content for this post

Indeed.
by BottleofRed  (2020-05-30 20:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While we were watching, B13 declared that he wants to work at NASA when he grows up. Or the Jet Propulsion Lab. Hopefully, this inspires a whole generation of kids who have never seen American spaceflight.

I hope there are jobs for them.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-30 20:38:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aerospace has been dying for 30 years, and many senior aerospace engineers I know (including my wife) stuck around because they love it in spite of the dwindling opportunities. Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX's president, was leaving aerospace for real estate when Musk asked her to join SpaceX early on. If nothing else, I hope SpaceX's (and Blue Origin's among many other's) engineering breakthroughs really translate to better economics to get to space, which sets the table for new kinds of businesses and scientific breakthroughs.

Because of the cov-16 coverage I'd say a lot more students
by ProV1x  (2020-05-31 17:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will be interested in studying science, biology in particular, with hope of a future in medical research.

You could not be more wrong.
by VTND  (2020-05-30 22:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the Wild West right now in the space industry. There are so many companies now working on NewSpace initiatives, it's hard to keep them all straight. Smallsats have revolutionized the industry, and proliferated low Earth orbit constellations are all the rage. There are companies now 3D printing launch vehicles.
It's a gold rush. There is a ton of VC and Government funding available (mostly foreign, but also a lot domestic).
I work in the industry. I've submitted more proposals for putting our technology in space in the last two years than in the previous 20. It's mayhem.

I’d love to be wrong. It’s a TAM problem.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-31 01:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem is gross tonnage. All the cube sats weight 1/100 of an old school satellite, and there aren’t enough of them to replace the lost revenue. I recall an analysis of this from Tren Griffin, a senior employee at Teledesic back in the day, showing it not trending well. Vector Launch just went into Chapter 11 after struggling with this differentiation despite huge VC money. There will be many more.

JPL is a great place to work.
by socal_doubledomer74  (2020-05-30 20:04:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Perseverance rover is scheduled to launch July 17.

. . . and land some seven months later! *
by other_guy  (2020-05-31 20:27:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Godspeed, Bob and Doug. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-30 18:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OCISLY
by irishguard78  (2020-05-30 17:41:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of Course I Still Love You.....

I just can't get into new space
by Ravenium  (2020-05-30 16:39:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's a lot of people that didn't grow up with the space race or space program and now feel like everything hasn't been done before when it totally has. Maybe I'm bitter the shuttle program basically faded as I grew up.

There's some good and bad in Newspace
by The Irish Cardinal  (2020-05-30 18:22:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen some companies - led by big names like SpaceX and Blue Origin - that have spearheaded a lot of new tech development. Things like reusable rockets, very large satellite constellations, and small satellite tech. Great stuff.

But for every one of those, I've seen about five companies that never should have gotten off the drawing board. It seems like Newspace culture brings out the worst elements of Silicon Valley startups. From how they treat their personnel to the obfuscation about their business plan, even as far as never intending to accomplish what they set out to do.

So yeah, it's hard for me to get excited about Newspace, either, but I have a healthy amount of respect for what SpaceX has accomplished here.

The small rocket space is going to collapse.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-30 18:45:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a huge amount of activity there, but they all seem to be focused on the same customers with novelty technology that isn't clear if it will really give some substantial benefit.

To your point, fundamentally rewriting the economics of getting to space, both LEO and beyond, is worthy of both celebration and optimism for what could be next.

Yes, too many companies, not enough customers.
by The Irish Cardinal  (2020-05-30 22:19:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it goes beyond that. Some of these companies are simply a cash grab. They have no intention of completing the task they state to the VCs when fundraising.

In two companies that I'm familiar with, the products would fundamentally violate the laws of physics. For one in particular, it's likely a front to produce a similar tech that could be used for more...nefarious purposes.

It feels a little like the Internet model.
by VTND  (2020-05-30 23:01:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Get something out there, and figure out how to make money on it later. Access to LEO is so cheap now, high schools are launching microsatts.

Lecturer at the most recent Iridium event said...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-31 00:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...there were 165 “satellite” companies out there. Maybe one or two would make it. Reference OneWeb going tits up, and they were well capitalized!

Speaking of Iridium...read an investment article on them
by rflor  (2020-05-31 08:06:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Talk about a financially well-run company. They kept their head down, paid off debt, and are now planning to pay out a dividend. I found it impressive as you hear so little about them as compared to the big Telco plays.

It’s like the horseless carriage. Why would anyone want one.
by socal_doubledomer74  (2020-05-30 23:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or the computer. It fills an entire floor after all.

I want to believe. *
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-31 01:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The first stage recovery capability of Falcon 9 is new tech
by Tommy Baseball  (2020-05-30 17:02:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although at this point, that is pretty old hat.

The next big thing for space will be Starship and Super Heavy. If SpaceX can get that working, that will not only be the world's tallest and heaviest rocket, but also a huge step forward in reusability as the entire rocket will be reusable.

If nothing else, the development makes for some entertaining TV.

Yesterday’s explosion didn’t help matters.
by rflor  (2020-05-30 17:05:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I read it was the third major failure of a Starship engine test. Optimist in me says SpaceX is good at analyzing and adapting to these failure scenarios.

They haven't lost any due to engine failure
by Tommy Baseball  (2020-05-30 17:13:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The previous three were tank failures. This one appears to be a failure with the Ground Support Equipment. Speculation is that the hoses that feed liquid methane to the rocket separated after the engine fire. All that free propellant caught fire and destroyed the vehicle.

The important part of the failures is that they've had three failures in four months. The rate of improvement is impressive. They just destroyed SN4 and SN5 is already ready to put on the test stand (thought the test stand will need to be rebuilt). The failures are setting them back weeks rather than years.

I grew up with the shuttle
by fontoknow  (2020-05-30 16:59:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was pretty badass watching the first launch. It was awesome going to the cape and watching Sally Ride on her first mission.

I think SpaceX is more important and will result in a deeper, more meaningful impact on humankind. Cheap affordable access to Space is what was supposed to be the promise of the shuttle. It was never realized.

I think when we land on the moon again
by DBCooper  (2020-05-30 16:52:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will be a huge event. Not 1969 level, but a big deal. The video alone will be amazing.

why'd we stop going to the moon?
by irishrock  (2020-05-30 18:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we said we wanted to go the moon ASAP, how long would it take to get there?

Because there’s nothing up there but a pile of rocks. *
by Ndwahoo  (2020-05-31 07:02:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Again?
by The Holtz Room  (2020-05-30 17:18:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid.

Special effects have gotten a lot better, so I expect so. *
by milhouse  (2020-05-30 17:08:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As long as Coppola is still directing it should be good *
by DBCooper  (2020-05-30 17:33:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should be so much farther along.
by Wooderson  (2020-05-30 16:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suppose the computer revolution was a natural off shoot of the space race, but the Shuttle was an expensive diversion that was value engineered to be jack of all trades, master of none.

Things will accelerate once Cochrane’s warp drive happens *
by Inigomontoya  (2020-05-30 17:01:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even an Epstein drive would be a great help. *
by milhouse  (2020-05-30 17:08:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just hope the Vulcans don’t hold us back
by graNDfan  (2020-05-31 09:37:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fight the power!

It was awesome, the drone ship name cracked me up
by EmilT76  (2020-05-30 15:51:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

‘Of course I Still Love You’ is the name of the drone ship the first stage lands on.

It has come a long way since Mercury, but it has taken way too long. Compliments and thanks to Elon Mosk and Spacex.

Sounds like I should be glad I wasn’t watching CNN

All of their ships' names are from Banks' "Culture" series
by HScorpio  (2020-05-30 16:05:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most (possibly all?) are named after "Minds" from the series, which are essentially hyper-intelligent AIs. Many Minds are individual ships. I'd recommend the series to anyone who is a fan of science fiction. Start with "Player of Games".

Their other ship is “Just Read the Instructions” *
by Dan93  (2020-05-30 16:10:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully he names one "Grey Area" *
by HScorpio  (2020-05-30 16:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The next one will be "A Shortfall of Gravitas" *
by Tommy Baseball  (2020-05-30 16:37:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No More Mr Nice Guy *
by kormal  (2020-05-30 16:42:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

‘Mericuh *
by John88  (2020-05-30 15:43:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Country could use some good news *
by DBCooper  (2020-05-30 15:50:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorta like Apollo 8. * *
by grnd  (2020-05-30 16:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All Apollo 8 astronauts still alive too *
by DBCooper  (2020-05-30 16:11:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not crying, you’re crying! *
by Irishted  (2020-05-30 15:43:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Flawless *
by Jvan  (2020-05-30 15:42:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish the camera hadn't cut out as the rocket landed.
by milhouse  (2020-05-30 15:45:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is so cool.

I was literally holding my breath.
by milhouse  (2020-05-30 15:41:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was awesome and terrifying at the same time.

Same here!
by Vermin96  (2020-05-31 00:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Felt like I held my breath until the 1st stage separated, and then really was overcome with a "hell yeah" once they hit SECO. And seeing that first stage upright on the deck of that barge was pretty cool...some incredible technology at work there.

I'm an avowed space junkie. Probably caught 7-8 shuttle launches while I lived in North Central Florida during the late 90s/early 2000s.

Ditto! *
by so-it-goes  (2020-05-30 17:09:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob and Doug take off, eh! *
by sprack  (2020-05-30 15:41:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you Norm! *
by mitquinn  (2020-05-30 15:56:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First Americans to ride an American rocket
by fontoknow  (2020-05-30 15:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a traditional stacked configuration since Skylab 4 in 1973.

1st launch of a new American human rated traditional stack rocket since since Apollo 7 on 10/11/1968.

I didn't know that. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-30 18:48:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Except for CNN screwing up takeoff
by needamirer  (2020-05-30 15:34:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At 25 seconds left in countdown they flash a picture of the rocket already in the air.

Recommend NASA TV YouTube
by rflor  (2020-05-30 15:41:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coverage was flawless.

I was openly crying throughout the launch. Columbia’s first launch was on my birthday back in 1981 and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Definitely better, but I do miss the more 'tech'
by 88_92WSND  (2020-05-30 18:32:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

aspect that the early Shuttle coverage had - seems like there was a lot more "up close" and "personal" filler today.

ANd yeah, tears in my eyes.

So was I
by GU82ND4ever  (2020-05-30 15:51:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I started to tear uo with memories of the Apollo launches while saying Hail Marys for a safe takeoff. Loved seeing it!

Watched on SpaceX YT channel. Awe inspiring. I got to go to
by Barrister  (2020-05-30 15:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

school late for Columbia’s first launch, as I recall they had a brief delay. I was in Kindergarten.

They completely blew it. Pathetic. *
by CMillar  (2020-05-30 15:39:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C-Span has coverage. *
by TripleDomer  (2020-05-30 15:34:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Caught it! Amazing. *
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-30 15:32:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wish the camera hadn’t cut out. *
by TripleDomer  (2020-05-30 15:34:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah it just sort of magically appeared.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-30 15:35:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always like the higher res view that shows the whole landing sequence. Guess it can't happen instantaneously, as the bandwidth is limited on the ocean. Maybe StarLink will fix that?

The vibration for the rocket exhaust screws up the link.
by Tommy Baseball  (2020-05-30 15:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually SpaceX releases the on-board recording, but given the focus being on the capsule for this mission, it is possible they won't.

Interesting, I just found a video on it.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-30 20:39:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should have guessed it was directional transmission instead of omni.

Have you found any video elsewhere showing it? *
by TripleDomer  (2020-05-30 15:42:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, I think it takes like 45-60 mins for it to be posted.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-30 15:43:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall seeing Elon post it first on Twitter.

Weepy lil Porp *
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-05-30 15:29:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I swear I heard The Right Stuff soundtrack as it went up.
by Irishted  (2020-05-30 15:37:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go Hot Dog, GO!!!!

Loved everything about it.
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-05-30 15:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congrats to everyone involved!