voidoid: I picked up a bottle of this velvet falernum.
by potatohouse (2020-05-30 16:56:26)

I’m on my third Barbados cocktail. Do you take Venmo for your consulting fee or do I just owe you one? 🤜🏼

Irishfitz: your bacon bourbon is on deck.

Everyone else: listen to voidoid and do this thing he said.

I support this message
by TerramarIrish  (2020-05-30 18:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's not one to dispense substandard advice.

And I can vouch for Wray & Nephew. My parents neighbors (they're Jamaican) make this devastating rum punch with that stuff. When I was in high school I had a helluva time trying to reasonably re-create it after I drank the bottle they brought over at Christmas. Good thing my parents weren't big fans.

Well don’t hold out now! Give us your best estimation
by potatohouse  (2020-05-30 19:37:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on that punch.

A good ND buddy of mine has a belizean restaurant on the South Side near Chicago lawn area. Incredible food and he makes a specialty drink, the Belizean Long Island, that lords over all tropical drinks. He’ll never give it up but I’d rather crack that ingredient code than coca cola’s secret formula.

Oh, my best estimation
by terramarirish  (2020-05-30 20:08:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was nowhere near the genuine article. I think it involved whatever shitty light rum I could get my 17 year old hands on and some Hawaiian Punch.

Luckily one of us was smart enough to ask for the recipe, they were nice enough to share it, and my mom is organized enough to still know where it is. She just texted me a pic of the piece of paper they wrote it out on 20-ish years ago. Here you go:

Remember 1, 2, 3, 4

1 part sour: lime juice
2 parts sweet: strawberry syrup
3 parts strong: Wray & Nephew overproof light rum
4 parts weak: Water

Throw in a few pimento seeds and 12-15 grains of rice & stir.

I can’t remember if it’s supposed to be drunk up or with rocks...soooo dowhatchalike.

Enjoy!

You are a good person.
by potatohouse  (2020-05-30 20:53:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A thousand thanks for the effort. This is going on the list ASAP.

But first I’m gonna need some explanation for the rice. Is this a cousin to 2sheds chia seed sorcery?

Totally could be
by terramarirish  (2020-05-30 21:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pimento seeds are a game changer, for sure. I honestly don’t know what the hell is going on with the rice. I don’t even remember what kind it’s supposed to be.

You’re very welcome - I’m glad you asked about it...we’ve got lots of strawberries coming in the garden and I’ve been wondering about drink recipes where we could use them...didn’t even think of the rum punch. Fresh homegrown limes are everywhere too. This one might have legs.

Well while I’m asking dumb questions...
by potatohouse  (2020-05-30 21:18:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Strawberry syrup? Meaning like cooking strawberries down with sugar and water etc homemade? Or buying a jar of topping you’d put on a sundae? (were you a communist who didn’t like hot fudge...)

Embrace the grossest option (link)
by Dr Muppet  (2020-05-30 21:41:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have zero shame in saying that
by potatohouse  (2020-05-30 23:10:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I enjoy a good strawberry milk.

I think you meant to say strawby milk. *
by Bluntschli  (2020-05-31 13:26:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nah, no worries
by terramarirish  (2020-05-30 21:40:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This some capitalist shit here. Maybe not effective capitalists- Jamaica ain’t exactly a global economic power...but, it’s not commie. Now, if it was Cuban...

Anyway, yeah the consistency of the finished product is pretty thin - like Hawaiian Punch.

Totally not a dumb question- I was just wondering the same thing. I’ve honestly never made the proper version, just drink it when the neighbors bring my parents a bottle at Christmas.

Anyway, I wouldn’t imagine that the syrup itself is super thick, although it’ll get diluted with the lime juice, rum and water. Here’s a link to a recipe I’ll probably use when I make mine. The straining step at the end, I think, should get the consistency where it needs to be.

Nice! The Barbados is the ultimate summer drink *
by voidoid  (2020-05-30 17:13:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I looked for some of that Agricole.
by potatohouse  (2020-05-30 18:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But my local store seems to recruit rums like our football coach.

They did have a bottle of the Appleton Estate 12y for $45. Maybe I’ll circle back.

I enjoy Koloa Dark Rum, an agricole from Kaua'i
by knutesteen  (2020-05-30 18:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Having visited the distillery, it also has a sentimental element to my enjoyment. The Coffee Koloa Rum is a decadent dessert treat.