Thoughts on Netflix's new series "Space Force"?
by HScorpio (2020-05-30 16:57:20)

Apropos of the thread below, I thought I'd see what others thought of it. I started it yesterday and made it through the first 4 episodes so far.

I have to say that I'm disappointed. I'll finish the season, but it's not what I hoped. Maybe my expectations were too high. I love the Office, and figured that Greg Daniels + Carell, on top of a great ensemble cast, would deliver something great. Malkovich is good. Kudrow appears much less than I was led to believe based on trailers, which is unfortunate. Jane Lynch is great in her 2 minutes of screen time so far.

Carell's character just doesn't make sense to me. It's like they didn't know how to write him. He switches between being incredibly competent and doing things at a 3rd grade level from scene to scene. I understand it's supposed to be a satire, but the comedic style just doesn't work for me. There were definitely some good moments (Congressional Hearing with Pelosi/AOC), but there are also too many random threads that don't make sense. Kudrow's character for one. The Russian boyfriend/spy/astronaut. How Carell managed to be a 4 star general.

Anyway, interested to see what others here think. I'd give it a 5/10 so far. The only thing giving me hope is that the first season of the Office was also not great, and Daniels turned it around. Hopefully that happens here, too.

Replies: