Protesters are supposed to hit the Costco, Target, Walmart
by ProV1x (2020-05-30 20:15:44)

super stores and other shopping centers or malls out in the area where I live according to "warnings" from authorities. Kroger's just down the road already was vandalized and closed this afternoon. Not much protesting, just the usual damage according to what I've heard and seen on videos. We're in far eastern part of the county 25 miles from downtown in a peaceful area near Valhalla GC.

This is a new event in my long lifetime as I've been fortunate not to experience any major protests or violence wherever my family and I've lived. I pray both the protesters/vandals play it cool but someone will probably do something stupid to start it up and people will get hurt or worse. They'll do what they want to do I suppose. I don't think any other NDN people live around here but I know of several Domers who do.

Officer please for God's sake they're looting the Food King! *
by strangebrew  (2020-05-31 17:06:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Been to that Kroger many times
by carroll2005  (2020-05-31 12:11:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crazy to think of looting in that area.

My grandmother lived just about a mile from there off of Shelbyville.

That Kroger has enlarged both sideways and backways
by ProV1x  (2020-05-31 17:07:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

three times since we moved out there in '98. The area across from Beckley Woods has also developed from several hundred acres of corn to a big shopping area and housing development all the way east of I-64.

In GR they hit the Art Museum and Kilwin’s Fudge
by graNDfan  (2020-05-31 09:41:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure what that says about our community

They hit a hell of a lot more than that
by IRISHNC12  (2020-05-31 17:13:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This riot will cost my company well over 100k. We can handle it. But almost every business destroyed was owned by a small business owner or partners that were barely surviving after 3 months of forced closure. Their kitchens were ransacked and their bars were emptied.

Many good people have worked very hard for the last 30 years to make downtown Grand Rapids a place for entertainment, to work and now live. We were also working hard on the retail. Yesterday was a huge blow.

I understand the larger societal issues. But to say it’s just property damage and there is no personal damage or damage to our community. I say bullshit.

They hit pretty much everything downtown.
by grnd  (2020-05-31 12:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The library, the Children's Museum, WoodTV's studios, the courthouse, and streets of private businesses. There were hundreds of people downtown this morning helping to clean up. That part was a bit of hope.

Kilwin’s chocolate-peanut butter fudge is pretty tasty, so.
by 1NDGal  (2020-05-31 10:03:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My friend had a problem with their Moose Tracks ice cream one summer.

I worked with the son of the owners. They’re good people.

A specific "protester" broke out the windows of the Subway
by JACC1203  (2020-05-31 01:59:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

near the Hall of Justice Friday night. WLKY caught the whole incident.

This person wasn't protesting Breonna Taylor's death. This person wasn't protesting police brutality. This person was looking for his 15 minutes of fame & I suppose he got it.

Good thing Greg Fischer has us on a curfew. That should help fix things.

Too bad nobody told the hundreds of people currently yelling & screaming & destroying things on Bardstown Rd.

Fischer's curfew meant the same thing "as go for it",
by ProV1x  (2020-05-31 07:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the same thing it meant to all the other protesters in the country. The authorities didn't have a chance. No way those mobs are going to stay home, it's more fun breaking windows and breathing tear gas.

I watched that guy just walk along with his hammer breaking out one pane of glass after another on WLKY. You have to take your handy hammer with you when you go to the local riot now days. Break windows, break skulls, who cares.

Count me in living very close to you. *
by irishtanker  (2020-05-30 23:05:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I found out there were several ND families around here
by ProV1x  (2020-05-31 07:42:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a few years back when a postman told me about how many Special delivery ND football ticket envelopes he had to deliver in the area every fall.

Actually a pretty nice little Saturday.
by milhouse  (2020-05-30 22:43:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, loot some wallpaper, maybe grab some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

When the looting starts the shooting starts. Catchy saying,
by ProV1x  (2020-05-31 07:49:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder who the peacekeeper was who started that?

The Brooklyn protest is now a few blocks from me
by DBCooper  (2020-05-30 20:36:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I live a block away from a police precinct that has already received threats. They have barricaded the block around their precinct, but that doesn’t include where I live unfortunately. Hopefully they don’t come around here, but I doubt I go to sleep early tonight

That sounds pretty freaky
by Ravenium  (2020-05-30 23:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Portland riots never seem to make it across 405,but we could see smoke from our balcony.

Stay as safe as you can DB.
by ProV1x  (2020-05-30 21:48:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm watching some of this on TV now. These newspaper people and especially the camera people have to be nuts, right in there with the tear gas an all the other crap going on.

Thanks, they seemed to have turned around a block before
by DBCooper  (2020-05-30 22:02:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My street and headed toward the Brooklyn bridge. Wrote black lives matter on the street as evidence. I just walked around to see and they are all gone. Should be ok for tonight but if protests continue eventually they will come to my block and precinct I assume. We shall see. Cops here will be up all night standing guard. My small area gets along with the precinct. So I hope they are left alone

Looks like it’s mostly hipster white peoples anyway 😀

I think you’ll be alright out there.
by WilfordBrimley  (2020-05-30 20:23:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too far out and too suburban/rural for anything serious.

My parents are in the Highlands - a bit more worried about that area after last night, but they should be fine.

Thanks, WB, the subdivision, Beckley Ws should be OK
by ProV1x  (2020-05-30 21:42:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but we are the first subdivision next to the Gene and less than a mile out Shelbyville. Rd. from Walmart. The Outlet Mall out in Simpsonville expects vandalism and closed early as you probably heard. Very upsetting to many older folks around here after fighting the virus for weeks.

After Dad got the Pro Job at Seneca we lived in the Highlands on Rutherford Ave., a block away from the old orphanage where Bellarmine now sits.