I hope there are jobs for them.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk (2020-05-30 20:38:41)

In reply to: Indeed.  posted by BottleofRed

Aerospace has been dying for 30 years, and many senior aerospace engineers I know (including my wife) stuck around because they love it in spite of the dwindling opportunities. Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX's president, was leaving aerospace for real estate when Musk asked her to join SpaceX early on. If nothing else, I hope SpaceX's (and Blue Origin's among many other's) engineering breakthroughs really translate to better economics to get to space, which sets the table for new kinds of businesses and scientific breakthroughs.

Because of the cov-16 coverage I'd say a lot more students
by ProV1x  (2020-05-31 17:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will be interested in studying science, biology in particular, with hope of a future in medical research.

You could not be more wrong.
by VTND  (2020-05-30 22:58:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the Wild West right now in the space industry. There are so many companies now working on NewSpace initiatives, it's hard to keep them all straight. Smallsats have revolutionized the industry, and proliferated low Earth orbit constellations are all the rage. There are companies now 3D printing launch vehicles.
It's a gold rush. There is a ton of VC and Government funding available (mostly foreign, but also a lot domestic).
I work in the industry. I've submitted more proposals for putting our technology in space in the last two years than in the previous 20. It's mayhem.

I’d love to be wrong. It’s a TAM problem.
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-31 01:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem is gross tonnage. All the cube sats weight 1/100 of an old school satellite, and there aren’t enough of them to replace the lost revenue. I recall an analysis of this from Tren Griffin, a senior employee at Teledesic back in the day, showing it not trending well. Vector Launch just went into Chapter 11 after struggling with this differentiation despite huge VC money. There will be many more.