Yes, too many companies, not enough customers.
by The Irish Cardinal (2020-05-30 22:19:19)

In reply to: The small rocket space is going to collapse.  posted by R2D2isAMeanDrunk

But it goes beyond that. Some of these companies are simply a cash grab. They have no intention of completing the task they state to the VCs when fundraising.

In two companies that I'm familiar with, the products would fundamentally violate the laws of physics. For one in particular, it's likely a front to produce a similar tech that could be used for more...nefarious purposes.

It feels a little like the Internet model.
by VTND  (2020-05-30 23:01:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Get something out there, and figure out how to make money on it later. Access to LEO is so cheap now, high schools are launching microsatts.

Lecturer at the most recent Iridium event said...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-31 00:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...there were 165 “satellite” companies out there. Maybe one or two would make it. Reference OneWeb going tits up, and they were well capitalized!

Speaking of Iridium...read an investment article on them
by rflor  (2020-05-31 08:06:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Talk about a financially well-run company. They kept their head down, paid off debt, and are now planning to pay out a dividend. I found it impressive as you hear so little about them as compared to the big Telco plays.

It’s like the horseless carriage. Why would anyone want one.
by socal_doubledomer74  (2020-05-30 23:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or the computer. It fills an entire floor after all.

I want to believe. *
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2020-05-31 01:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post