Is there a Back Room consensus on mattresses?
by Dutch (2020-07-01 15:40:15)

I'm in the market for some new mattresses and don't even know where to start. I've always had a traditional inner spring mattress and have liked those. Should I stick with that, or are some of the newer technologies worth considering? I would like to keep the cost as low as possible while still getting a quality product with good support and at least a 10 year life. Thanks in advance.

Is this for your regular house or vacation house?
by 96_ND  (2020-07-02 09:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It makes a difference.

I'm still all in on latex *
by SEE  (2020-07-01 19:57:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try lambskin *
by bigjinx74  (2020-07-01 23:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gag ball optional. *
by Bacchus  (2020-07-01 23:20:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd sleep on it. *
by St. Pete St.  (2020-07-01 19:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sleep Number. Mrs. Barney68 and I love ours. *
by Barney68  (2020-07-01 18:33:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The internet mattresses aren’t about the mattress.
by squid  (2020-07-01 17:43:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s about the logistics of not having stores and shipping a mattress through the mail. An innerspring mattress can’t be jammed in a box like Casper or Purple. The logistics drove the technology of the mattress, not some inherent better quality.

There are several innerspring mattresses that ship
by goldenarms  (2020-07-01 18:23:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a box, just like the foam ones. It's pretty impressive.

Agree with you about the logistics point though. I couldn't shake the feeling that the foam guys were selling them because it was good for them, and the hell with me.

Everyone seems to love their internet direct sale brand
by shillelaghhugger  (2020-07-01 17:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've yet to meet someone who bought one and returned it. Purple, Mint, Tuft & Needle, etc.

I went with Tuft and Needle because they are here in AZ and do same day delivery. Wife and I both love it. Got one for my 2 year old when she left the crib.

Agreed. Love our tuft & needle mint.
by Irish_Texan  (2020-07-01 19:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However got a cheap no name one for guest bedroom that is nearly as comfortable. It's worth it to me to spend more

Saatva gets really good reviews.
by 528 Flanner  (2020-07-01 17:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's an innerspring mattress and you have four months to try it out. I don't have one though. I have a Simmons Beautyrest with the pillow top. It's very comfortable. A queen size was about $1,500 a few years ago.

Sativa is great in the morning
by Molly Maguires  (2020-07-01 20:11:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh.

Saatva.

Carry on.

We've been happy with our Casper Wave Hybrid
by Jimbo Irish  (2020-07-01 17:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a combo of foam and innerspring, so best of both worlds. It did take a couple of months to get used to, but now I'm sleeping like a baby.

We also did the split king (two twin mattresses on king frame) because we got the adjustable bed frame. It's pretty nice to prop up my head when watching TV, reading, or working on my laptop, but it was probably not worth the extra expense and the two mattresses took a little getting used to.

It's #2 rated on Consumer Reports too, for what it's worth. Avocado is #1.

I've always been a fan of Stearns & Foster mattresses. *
by Rockbrig97  (2020-07-01 16:52:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Purple rules.
by CMillar  (2020-07-01 16:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Supportive but comfortable. Yet sleeps cool and doesn't trap you in like memory foam.

I concur. We've had ours about a month now. *
by Up the Irish  (2020-07-01 17:51:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back Room consensus? Doubtful.
by cincysubdomer  (2020-07-01 16:31:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try the Political Board.

Good on you, made me laugh and that is quite a feat. *
by Hati Hijau  (2020-07-01 18:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We go to the mattresses [v]
by knutesteen  (2020-07-01 16:28:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go to the mattresses
by mkovac  (2020-07-01 20:47:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good call on getting them new *
by DBCooper  (2020-07-01 16:09:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It all depends on what you like.
by EricCartman  (2020-07-01 16:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Www.sleeplikethedead.com has a bunch of bed reviews.

Personally, I like the bed-in-a-box tranquility mattress. It’s fairly firm and priced modestly for a king (around $1,200 when I ordered mine).

that's a great website *
by discNDav  (2020-07-01 18:15:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went with a “luxury store brand”
by vermin05  (2020-07-01 15:46:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to a reputable furniture store (WG&R) and ended up purchasing their “luxury store brand” (August Haven) as opposed to the budget store brand label (WG&R) and got a made in WI mattress with latex top layer, latex dissipates heat better then memory foam. I bought it 4 years ago but it was significantly cheaper then the brand names and made with similar materials. I would suggest you do the same.

What the hell is WG&R? *
by Nitschke  (2020-07-01 16:09:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A regional furniture store
by vermin05  (2020-07-01 16:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has 5 locations in NE Wisconsin

This should be good. *
by ndtnguy  (2020-07-01 15:41:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post