Additionally, wire up as much as possible
by El Kabong (2020-07-02 10:31:01)

In reply to: Wireless is more susceptible to drops in speed.  posted by cujays96

HTown gave me great advice a couple months ago -- if something in your house is stationary and uses the Internet, why do you have it on WiFi?

I brought someone in to run CAT-7 wire to the three televisions using Internet in the house, and it definitely made a difference for all the other devices (e.g. cell phones, kids' laptops) using the WiFi.

I second running Cat7 *
by ODSCHOOL  (2020-07-02 11:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any thoughts on it not being standard?
by NDBass  (2020-07-02 12:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just skimmed a few articles, but it appears cat7 isn't a standard. It uses a different connector as well. Seems like cat6a or cat8 might be better, but it might depend on needs, run lengths, etc.

Was the 7 a typo?
by NDBob  (2020-07-02 12:14:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because unless you got some sort of a great deal there's really no reason to run anything above 5E in a home as that will handle gig ethernet at up to 100m.

Cat7...cat8...whatever it takes. *
by Bluntschli  (2020-07-02 12:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post