I am a single dad
by irishnyer (click here to email the poster) (2020-07-02 14:43:58)

In reply to: How do single parents do it?  posted by Chigurh

So sorry to hear about your experiences.

Get a therapist for yourself. This is key to getting out of your own way.

Take time for yourself - yoga or something that will force your mind to be in the moment. For me it was diving back into fencing (plus competitive volleyball). I was a fencer for many years, fenced at ND. Besides the benefits for my health, it was a way to spend time with my children, as I became their coach. Then coached by eldest throughout HS (the other 2 found other things), and I am proud to say she is on the ND team. I decided against snow sports. Even though I have taught snowboarding, I gave it up because I am the sole breadwinner, and I've had a few spills. Maybe I am being paranoid, but that's just me.

Even though most of us are under quarantine from work, this might be a good time to look at maybe having a side hustle, or work that could provide more flexibility. I am a recruiter, and can point you to some resources for you to research.

If you don't already, eat better. I have always been a pretty clean eater, but have finally decided to go plant based. Stress is a factor in heart disease, we've all been stressed out, and you're most likely undergoing a huge amount of stress.

I'm gonna taking my own advice - yoga starts this weekend, going back to see my therapist next week.

My email is below if you want to chat about this, or anything.