Any northeast folks still without power?
by voidoid (2020-08-06 22:05:03)

We have no power, cable/internet and barely any cel service. Generator is cranking, but it is wild how reliant we’ve become on the creature comforts of our media devices. This is the first time since Tuesday I’ve had one bar of cellular data at home. (Which of course I am using to immediately log in here.)

Just on our block we still have three downed trees being precariously held up by the power lines. Big oaks - probably 30” caliper on average. There are dozens of blocked roads in my neighborhood, and driving around requires numerous detours.

And of course my leaf blower died.

Still out in my part of Monmouth County NJ.
by MCB  (2020-08-07 12:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First JCP&L truck since the storm arrived down the street a couple of hours ago to work on a damaged transformer. Not sure if that is the final piece of the puzzle for my neighborhood.

Yes, but I'm used to it. CT has a third world power grid.
by ProfKid93  (2020-08-07 10:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank God for my Generac.

People are too cheap to bury the lines.
by Wooderson  (2020-08-07 15:02:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Despite something like this happening at least once a year. It's worse in the winter when the heavy snow brings trees down onto branches.

The granite gneiss geology makes it cost prohibitive.
by voidoid  (2020-08-07 16:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The amount of blasting required to bury utilities costs an astronomical sum. It's a cost that can be accounted for when laying out a new subdivision, but burying an existing electrical grid along 100+ year old winding CT roadways is a non-starter.

CT is rural in a lot of places
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-07 15:27:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it makes a bit more sense the lines aren’t buried. Nassau, why not? It’s one of the densest places in the US and also completely flat. Just bury the lines already!

Was out for 40 hours in Southern Maine
by EE Trumpet  (2020-08-07 10:46:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought that was bad and Central Maine Power could have done much better. Reading this thread, I really feel for everyone in CT who has it so much worse.

Ours came back within 36 hours, now dealing with Verizon
by Ty Webb  (2020-08-07 09:45:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of our set top boxes went crazy and now shows an ER00 message.

I used the FIOS call back option to have someone call me back when an agent was available. They called in 5 seconds and now have been on hold for 15 minutes.

Electric and cable still out on North Fork of LI
by sjdomer  (2020-08-07 08:50:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Being told we should get them back tomorrow.

Just got it back last night - Hudson Valley near West Point
by mintirish  (2020-08-07 08:34:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Half our town got it back about 9-10pm two nights ago and we got it back last night around the same time.

Thank God Verizon wireless was solid so I could use my phone as a hot spot and muddle through.

A coworker over in Wilton was still out as of yesterday and had no clue when his was coming back.

I didn't actually think the storm was that bad in terms of wind or rain, I feel like there are 5-10 worse storms a year, but there was no denying the amount of trees and limbs down around town.

Amazingly, we didn't lose power
by njnd96  (2020-08-07 08:26:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually we lose power at the drop of a hat. Our lights flickered a few times, but never went out. Good thing too, because I need to take my generator in for service.

There is a giant tree down in the road a few blocks away and it looks like they have made zero progress getting it removed. I'm guessing that it's on power lines but didn't take any down, so it's a lower priority.

Yep *
by SoCaliDomer  (2020-08-07 06:42:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We got lucky on our side of town,
by Wooderson  (2020-08-07 06:27:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the other half is a mess.

Even the really rich folks are on generator. And they've got some massive, office Park sized ones going.

EDIT: So not 5 minutes after I posted this my side of town lost power due to some sort of electrical fire that also blocked out access to 95.

Went into the office though, so I can work, but boy was my wife pissed. Now she has to clean the bathrooms.

We got lucky here in our Central NJ neighborhood
by bizdomer09  (2020-08-07 00:19:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other nearby neighborhoods were not as lucky. Our power dipped way down for several seconds at least a half dozen times, but held on each time. Earlier in the summer when the “derecho” came through (a word I learned afterward - the 10-minute hurricane-like storm that came out of nowhere on an otherwise sunny day), we were hit and miss on power for 3 days. I was expecting the same or worse this time, but all good.

Amazingly just got it back tonight
by bmoreirish  (2020-08-06 22:53:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were told a week plus. You could hear shrieks of glee throughout the neighborhood.

Where are you located?
by LondonDomer  (2020-08-06 23:06:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe a dumb question if it’s Baltimore — but I sure don’t live in London.

Haha fair question
by bmoreirish  (2020-08-07 08:38:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Northern part of Trumbull.

You are in Newtown, right?
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-06 23:15:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know people who are still being told 7-10 days in Newtown/Sandy Hook.

I am.
by LondonDomer  (2020-08-06 23:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure who is telling them that. We haven’t heard anything.

They have been calling Eversource *
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-07 09:30:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only flickered twice
by vermin05  (2020-08-06 22:46:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank goodness NHE Co-op cleared brush last summer

Are you folks without power all in Connecticut? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-08-06 22:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am. CT was hit hard. More outages than Sandy.
by LondonDomer  (2020-08-06 22:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But other NE states (NJ, NY -- esp Long Island) were hit hard as well. Allu is in LI I believe.

Yup, we are Long Island *
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-06 23:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still out here.
by LondonDomer  (2020-08-06 22:35:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our first selectman hasn't held back on what he thinks on Eversource's preparedness for and response to this storm. "Corporate incompetence" were the words he used in his call tonight. Hard to argue. Little to no progress made here in our town. Super frustrating.

We're lucky because somehow our internet works (when we are running the generator), so we have that going for us. But several of the gas stations in town are out of gas, and the ones that aren't have a 45 minute to an hour wait. Running solely on generator power is gonna be an issue soon. Again, we're lucky we even have a generator as many don't.

Yep.
by captaineclectic  (2020-08-06 22:06:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I resent that it's "creature comforts." We're trying to work remotely because we can't be in the office because of a pandemic. That's not a creature comfort, it's responsibilities.

You're right, ability to work from home not a creature
by voidoid  (2020-08-07 09:51:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comfort. We have driven into Manhattan the last two days to work, it's miserable.

I think my post came out harshly
by captaineclectic  (2020-08-07 10:20:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was in an unpleasant mood. Sorry about that.

No worries, dude. I'm not happy either. *
by voidoid  (2020-08-07 11:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are at my parents in CT and shocked
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-06 22:12:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That some of the people here have been told they won’t have power for another week.

Purposefully vague response
by wcnitz  (2020-08-07 07:37:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve had experience with said utility company in the past.

Been in my business 20+ years. They are the most inept bunch of people I’ve ever had the displeasure of working with.

We were without it on LI for 2 weeks after Sandy. Luckily,
by ndwifemom  (2020-08-07 07:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we didn’t lose power this time. Massive number of trees and large branches down. I never saw wind like that in the 26 years I have lived here. Very scary.