I dealt with this last year as a result of hurricane Irma
by Wide right (2020-08-07 20:12:02)
Edited on 2020-08-07 22:23:05

In reply to: Anyone have insight on hurricane deductibles ? *  posted by SEE

Not sure exactly what you’re looking for but basically (at least with my policy) the deductible is a function of the insured value of the home. My deductible is 2% of the insured value of the home (which is determined by my insurance company, not by me). So for a 1,000,000 home my deductible for a hurricane would be 20,000, as opposed my normal every day deductible of 5,000.

Not sure what the range of percentages is. I know some who have 5% deductibles, some with 2% as I have. I’m not aware of anyone with a lower percentage. It might be available but would be very expensive.

For that deductible to kick in, you must suffer damage from a named storm hurricane. Tropical storm damage? Your regular deductible applies.

You have 3 years from the date of the storm to submit a claim. I submitted a roof damage claim last May from Irma. After the deductible, insurance picked up the entire cost of the roof replacement, which was a 6 figure job.

My policy is with Chubb. They are excellent. But I believe that scenario is pretty standard.