It's cost prohibitive at this point
by njnd96 (2020-08-10 09:42:06)

In reply to: So I've been in this area for the better part of 30 years.  posted by Wooderson

In NJ the only areas that have buried lines are those that were built after the 60's - which isn't that many. My house boarders up against the next town, that section has buried lines and mine doesn't. My power goes out 2x a year (on average), theirs doesn't. Just in my small town it would probably cost $100M to convert. I'd love it if they converted, but it's not going to happen.

The best solution is a portable generator. All in with the generator and getting a transfer switch installed you're looking at $500 or so.

Agreed, hence my points on the obstacles.
by Wooderson  (2020-08-10 11:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm hoping to get nat gas run up my street by next summer, then will be swapping out a lot of power gear for solar when I redo my roof.

Until then, I'm at the mercy of Eversource.

I will say we had a tree randomly go over in June that took out my entire corner of town, so when they fixed it up, they rationalized a lot of the wiring, which is likely why we held firm during this one for the most part, but it still would be nice to see some wind/solar initiatives around here really take off. Maybe combine it with some cell towers to limit the footprint or something.

Nat gas is a game changer
by njnd96  (2020-08-10 14:27:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guy down the street from me has solar and geothermal. I considered solar, but I don't want to be locked into a 20 yr lease. If you can still qualify for the subsidies then purchasing is the way to go.