Perry Mason (spoilers)
by rutfilthygers (2020-08-10 12:06:51)

Overall I'd call the show a disappointment, though I'm optimistic that the next season will be better with Mason established as a lawyer already. I'm not a fan of the show having Mason bribe a juror, even if it proved to be unnecessary. And in future seasons, I hope they keep the scenes where Mason screams his head off like a jackass to a minimum.

What'd everyone else think?

I thought it was very good
by Doggie  (2020-08-10 19:25:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think there were way to many p.c. things that didn't make a lot of sense given it was set in 1932 but once I suspended disbelief of that stuff, I enjoyed it. I thought it was fun the way they pulled in all the classic Perry Mason characters (Della Street, Paul Drake, Hamilton Burger) into similar but different personna.

It was very good. I agree wholeheartedly. *
by Nitschke  (2020-08-12 09:17:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Raymond Burrr was great *
by Fastenatingguy  (2020-08-10 17:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I put it in a long list...
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-08-10 14:44:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of shows that are well-made, but boring. Westworld wins first place on that list.

Snoredwalk Sleepire *
by captaineclectic  (2020-08-10 16:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See Terrence Winter proclamation below *
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-10 18:59:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Concur
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-08-10 17:32:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That show's better for sleep than any CPAP machine on the market!

The second season of True Detective *
by sprack  (2020-08-10 15:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-08-10 16:40:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

S2 of True Detective wasn't boring. It was just ultimately too poorly written. It collapsed under its own weight, and it did not develop its stories or characters well enough. It started off okay, included a great setting & subject matter, but it could not finish on the promise. The season failed overall, but it held legitimate promise.

Not as boring as the third season....
by Marine Domer  (2020-08-10 16:16:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but both were pretty boring. However, the second season did have that one awesome shootout.

Hot take: also the first season of True Detective
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-10 15:58:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, anything from Terrence Winter.

Terrence Winter and Tim Van Patten are responsible for
by Nitschke  (2020-08-11 08:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of the greatest single episodes of the greatest television series of all times.

That is fine but
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-11 20:30:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They weren’t show runners on that show. Most people aren’t gonna walk around and credit Michelle McClaren Or Rian Johnson for Breaking Bad instead of Vince Gilligan just because they directed and wrote some of the best episodes of the show. They are going to credit Gilligan.

But the first season was at least watchable
by sprack  (2020-08-10 16:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea what happened in the second season after the third episode when I gave up.

I will speak for CE
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-10 16:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone got high and watched too many David Lynch movies before that season. It wasn’t even fun to hate watch.

Sopranos? *
by DBCooper  (2020-08-10 16:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I give that to Chase
by Allumeuse  (2020-08-10 16:13:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t give Winters the credit for that since he wasn’t even part of the first season. The two shows he was show runner on definitely fit the bill. Vinyl was hot expensive garbage.

It was ok.
by Irishted  (2020-08-10 13:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very well produced and some great acting. But I thought the storyline was a bit undercooked and the dialogue too eye-rolling in its explanation of certain characters' motivations.

Also, if you're going to have a show named after a legendary character that grants the writers some pre-established affection and expectations, then let him exhibit those legendary characteristics. In my mind, Mason didn't exactly pull off amazing cross-examinations or a stirring closing argument at the trial. It just sort of ended with some of the awful characters continuing to be awful.

I guess cynical nihilism is the main requirement for prestige television nowadays. As for me, I wouldn't mind watching some hope and redemption in my entertainment to be honest.

Well said *
by Porpoiseboy  (2020-08-10 14:45:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I liked it overall
by Son of Galway  (2020-08-10 13:33:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with your observations.

Have any of you read the Perry Mason books? I was just curious if they are worth reading, or if they are a disappointment.

Isn't the HBO show using the names but has no real relation
by sprack  (2020-08-10 13:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the books?

I haven't read the books but from what I understand they're much like the 60's TV show. Gardner even had input into casting Raymond Burr as Mason.

I thought it was very good. I enjoy they old (spoilers)
by Steelhop  (2020-08-10 12:41:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

film noir, gum shoe type movies. I also really like Matthew Rhys as an actor.

I think the scene showing that he didn't need to bribe a juror is providing future context that he has real legal skills and should trust them. But, with this being his first case, and with everything stacked against him from the judge to Ennis, etc., he felt the need to take that action to ensure he got the right outcome.

It also took me a second to figure out where Mason got the money to bribe the juror. At first, I thought it was all Shea Wigham's doing until I realize he used the money from the lady buying his parent's farm.