Techies - how would you setup your home internet?
by DakotaDomer (2020-09-18 19:26:47)
Edited on 2020-09-18 19:27:16

....if your company was supplementing your normal home budget so you could work at home?

I need fast and consistent internet in a lot of different (and separated) parts of the house. Would you plug all the devices into the wall or plug in some and get a really strong router to go with your provider’s modem?

Is a high distance central router better or wifi extenders scattered throughout in a mesh network?

Did the Google mesh and it's great.
by JTAD31  (2020-09-19 08:10:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got it for $299 at Costco and haven't had an issue since. Came with 4 different pods and we're good from the basement to upstairs with the setup. Also have the fastest internet speed from our cable company. No more buffering anywhere.

Mesh network all the way.
by Wooderson  (2020-09-19 05:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best consistency around the domicile.

careful with the extenders
by Irishthinclad  (2020-09-19 01:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you use them, have them hardwired back to the router...better to use ethernet for the backhaul. So basically what NDBob said...

Run a Cat5E/Cat6 cable to everything you can ....
by NDBob  (2020-09-19 00:24:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and back to a Gigabit switch.

Research and get a high quality Wifi router to max out physical and spatical channels available for the devices that will need WiFi (phones, tablets, TVs, laptops if you are moving around).

If you can put your ISP device in a bridged mode and let your router handle NAT and everything do that, otherwise use the provider modem for NAT and use the WiFi device as just an access point.

If your house is big enough that the one WiFi device is not providing coverage everywhere you need it, set up a second Access point off of a wired Cat5E to fill in.

I’m going to go with what he said
by DakotaDomer  (2020-09-19 06:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As soon as someone explains to me what he said

(Kidding, mostly)

Eero
by DavidAddison  (2020-09-19 00:13:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you are saying your house is wired, eero comes in 3 packs and each can serve as a bridge as each plugs into Ethernet then broadcasts wifi mesh.

If the things that need access are going to be fixed
by FaytlND  (2020-09-18 20:13:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the various locations, I'd have those spots wired for ethernet. Alternatively, you could setup a MoCa network which will use the coax cable wiring in the house to function as the network. If you need to roam, then a mesh network would probably be best.

If work was subsidizing, I'd probably do both.

Why not both?
by ravenium  (2020-09-18 20:04:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plugging in as many things as possible keeps things reliable regardless of situation. Having multiple mesh APs keeps a single AP from being overloaded with clients.

I’d go with a 28.8K modem. 14.4K is just too damn slow. *
by Nitschke  (2020-09-18 19:36:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post