Need a new weather app /website
by Hatchet Man (2020-11-25 07:14:24)

I have been lost since Dark Sky went off Android. I am outdoors quite a bit working, walking, biking, traveling, sailing and I live in Chicago so the weather is an hourly event around here. Anyway, hoping you can help me.

Thanks

FWIW, commercial weather apps are notorious trackers
by squid  (2020-11-25 21:16:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of your precise location and sell your whereabouts to brokers.

A spokesman for IBM, which owns the app, said it had always been clear about the use of location data collected from users and will vigorously defend its “fully appropriate” disclosures.
Feuer said the app’s operators, TWC Product and Technology LLC, sold data to at least a dozen websites for targeted ads and to hedge funds that used the information to analyze consumer beha

I use weather.gov
by wcnitz  (2020-11-25 14:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t see a need for anything more than that.

"NOAA Weather"
by Jess  (2020-11-25 09:41:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They take data, images, etc. from public domain www,weather.gov and add commercial ads to the bottom of your phone's screen.

"It's good enough..."

For Android you can use Hyperlocal Weather
by Shifty  (2020-11-25 08:44:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Powered by Dark Sky

I think it is their attempt to port it over to Android.

I have the paid / ad-free version. I like it. Seems accurate enough for me.

I use My Radar. Simple and loads quickly. *
by Barrister  (2020-11-25 08:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what I use
by wildesilas  (2020-11-25 08:53:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really like the different layers that you can turn on...seeing the wind direction on the radar map is very helpful.

Seconded *
by irishfitz124  (2020-11-25 08:38:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weather trends has been great for our forecasts.
by Jeash  (2020-11-25 08:23:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have nailed our planting dates within three days from six months off for the last three years. They predicted the terrible spring of 2019 in November of 2018. They nailed our 2019 planting dates of early june down to the week which is pretty amazing.

Try WTForecast. It can be quite entertaining. *
by ndstein04  (2020-11-25 08:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Change the settings to allow swearing. *
by dbldomer  (2020-11-25 11:42:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe take a look at your local news stations
by elcortez01  (2020-11-25 07:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have an excellent radar app from a local tv station. I'm not impressed by Dark Sky and other such apps. I've found all I need is basic radar that launches quickly and is easy to read.

I can't tell you how many times at a baseball game this year somebody told me, "My app says its going to rain in 17 minutes" only to glance and the actual radar and see a completely different picture.

I use Storm daily sometimes hourly, it has good radar. *
by discNDav  (2020-11-25 07:40:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I use two. Weather Underground for forecasts and
by bphweather  (2020-11-25 07:19:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Storm radar.