The best Christmas Song
by vermin05 (2020-11-25 11:38:30)

There are two aspects to the holiday, one of joyous celebration and one of solemn acknowledgment that humanity’s falling required our God to descend to our plain and save us from ourselves. Therefore, the music of the holiday is split into those distinct groups (Joy, and Reverence) and because of that split there can therefore be two best Christmas Songs. You might disagree with me on this, but there can be no doubt about what I am about to say next...

The two greatest Christmas songs are Joy to the World and Silent Night. Joy to the World is the emotion of Joy put to music, it is instantly uplifting and just makes me feel happy every single time. When preformed by an orchestra and choir it is transcendent. The only song that matches it is Hallelujah Chorus, but that song is not exclusively a Christmas song and is thus excluded from this list. Silent Night, on the other end is spine chillingly amazing practically anytime it’s preformed by a group (weather it be a congregation at mass or a professional choir) and evokes the solemn nature of the holiday. It’s only competition is It Came Upon a Midnight Clear which can evoke the same feelings in me (weather it be a vocal soloist, or a violin soloist) but can only do so in the hands of a skilled artist, Judy the church cantor destroys it. Due to this, and the amazing story of who created Silent Night and how it was created Silent Night is superior.

Prove me wrong.

Replies: