CDC: Real life infection rate among fully vax'd is 0.008%
by mocopdx (2021-04-15 10:14:55)
Edited on 2021-04-15 10:15:02

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has identified a small cohort of approximately 5,800 cases of Covid-19 infection among more than 66 million Americans who have completed a full course of vaccination.

These so-called breakthrough cases, which are defined as positive Covid-19 test results received at least two weeks after patients receive their final vaccine dose, represent 0.008% of the fully vaccinated population."

Hoping to start street hockey in a month
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 13:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quite excited.

Makes me happy, as I just got my 2nd Moderna
by Barrister  (2021-04-15 10:40:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2 hours ago.

So if you test positive after two weeks from your last shot
by rgvirish  (2021-04-15 10:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then you should probably buy lottery tickets?

Other good news in that article is that even if you test positive, your chances of getting very ill are minimal.

If you haven't gotten one, go get vaccinated. For your sake and mine.

Herd immunity is coming, and coming soon provided
by vermin05  (2021-04-15 10:22:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We continue to vaccinate at levels seen to date. Israel is effectively open with no restrictions (because no one is following them) and cases continue to decrease. They are at 60% vaccinated, approximately 1 month ahead of the US. If we follow them, sometime in the next 2 weeks cases should start to drop (we have essentially plateaued nationwide already.)

Biden picked the 4th of July for a reason, it’s a reasonable date given our vaccination schedule to assume 75% of the US is vaccinated. Lowering the minimum age to 12 should hopefully overcome any vaccination hesitancy in young adults, we are so close it’s painful.

There could be pockets where reaching herd immunity
by IAND75  (2021-04-15 11:57:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is challenging.

“But for White Evangelicals, the number who say they are opposed to getting a Covid vaccine remains high, Perry said, and that may be a problem for some areas, where they represent a much higher percentage of the population than they do nationally.

"We're going to see consequences in those regions of the country," Perry said. "And that will be felt by the vulnerable and the elderly."

Evangelicals make up about 25% of the US population, according to Pew. And some experts say that 70% of the population needs to get the vaccine to help control Covid-19...”

N Michigan - tons of supply, Detroit - not so much *
by irishnyer  (2021-04-15 13:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep
by reilly  (2021-04-15 13:23:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In Alabama, there seems to be more vaccine available than there are people who want to be vaccinated already. Not a good sign. I'm hoping it's just people slow to get vaccinated, and we're not already seeing the results of vaccine hesitancy, but given the share of evangelicals and others prone to non-science-based ideas, I don't feel confident of that.

They’ll reach it the hard way, then *
by sprack  (2021-04-15 12:20:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is there an expected timeframe for when kids 12 and over
by BottleofRed  (2021-04-15 10:55:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

should be able to get the vaccine? I would absolutely let my sons miss a day of school for that.

Soon
by vermin05  (2021-04-15 11:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pfizer has already petitioned the FDA so I fully expect it happening sometime in the next 2-6 weeks.

How young will they go? Is the current work just to 12? *
by MrPlumbean  (2021-04-15 11:16:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe Pfizer has started trials for 6mos to 12 yrs *
by dbldomer  (2021-04-15 11:50:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, results not expected for ~6 months
by rflor  (2021-04-15 11:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pfizer set low expectations for the trial, due to recruitment requirements for the age range and lower infection rates. They are starting with the oldest cohort (9-12) and work their way down.

I expect the 12-15 age group to be authorized under EUA by end of Q2 and the under 12 age group by late Q4.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we get to 75% vaccinated.
by grnd  (2021-04-15 10:32:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here in Michigan, everyone 16+ can get vaccinated and there are same day appointments starting to come available all over the place. Perhaps that is due to increased supply but I suspect it's because of softening demand.

28.1% of residents are fully-vaccinated (42.8% have received one dose).

Some people are waiting for no hassle
by vermin05  (2021-04-15 10:47:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, a vast majority of people left work and don’t want to take a day off of work to get the shot or stay home with side effects. Places need to start advertising walk ins available and double down on staff to handle the Fri-Sunday rush.

We definitely need to expand options.
by grnd  (2021-04-15 11:42:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are starting to see evening and off-hour vaccine clinics open and we need to do more of that. I suspect we have gotten all the easy ones (i.e., people who would crawl over broken glass to get the vaccine). Now we will have to work on everybody else.

Again, perhaps all these open slots are due to increased supply. But if not then the easy ones only got us to about 40%, and I suspect the remaining 35% will be a substantial challenge.

DeVos has tons of available appointments
by wcnitz  (2021-04-15 12:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they're doing thousands per day still, which is great. I think they're so efficient now they have more capacity than is needed.

Great ideas. *
by KeoughCharles05  (2021-04-15 11:07:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A wild card is the immunity of those who have been infected
by ufl  (2021-04-15 10:39:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A plausible (but uncertain) estimate is that about 20% have had it.

We can't simply add that to the percentage vaccinated for two reasons:

(a) there is overlap between those vaccintated and those previously infected and

(b) A good number of those infected were infected a year ago and may not have full immunity.

I'd say about 3/4 of the people I know who had Covid
by elcortez01  (2021-04-15 11:02:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Either are not planning to get the vaccine at all or are at least waiting (for a variety of reasons).

Regarding your point B.... are they saying vaccines are only good for the short term? Not sure why immunity from infection would be any less than from the vaccine and actually seems counter to everything we were told about immunity prior to Covid.

They aren’t saying they’re only good short term
by sprack  (2021-04-15 12:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that’s all the data they have. The vaccinations only began six months ago.

I think that both infections and vaccination
by ufl  (2021-04-15 11:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

provide fairly long lived protection but it is expected to decline with time. Hence, the talk of boosters (although new variants are also involved with that).

Data shows vaccine immunity is better than natural immunity
by AquinasDomer  (2021-04-15 16:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Part of COVID's strategy is to suppress the immune system while it replicates. Some of the variants seem to reinfection a lot with natural immunity (P.1 is the big offender for this)

You always under promise and over deliver
by uconndomer  (2021-04-15 10:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s why he picked July 4th.

So the odds are not good -- like one in a hundred not good?
by captaineclectic  (2021-04-15 10:19:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post