A wild card is the immunity of those who have been infected
by ufl (2021-04-15 10:39:38)

In reply to: I will be pleasantly surprised if we get to 75% vaccinated.  posted by grnd

A plausible (but uncertain) estimate is that about 20% have had it.

We can't simply add that to the percentage vaccinated for two reasons:

(a) there is overlap between those vaccintated and those previously infected and

(b) A good number of those infected were infected a year ago and may not have full immunity.

I'd say about 3/4 of the people I know who had Covid
by elcortez01  (2021-04-15 11:02:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Either are not planning to get the vaccine at all or are at least waiting (for a variety of reasons).

Regarding your point B.... are they saying vaccines are only good for the short term? Not sure why immunity from infection would be any less than from the vaccine and actually seems counter to everything we were told about immunity prior to Covid.

They aren’t saying they’re only good short term
by sprack  (2021-04-15 12:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that’s all the data they have. The vaccinations only began six months ago.

I think that both infections and vaccination
by ufl  (2021-04-15 11:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

provide fairly long lived protection but it is expected to decline with time. Hence, the talk of boosters (although new variants are also involved with that).

Data shows vaccine immunity is better than natural immunity
by AquinasDomer  (2021-04-15 16:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Part of COVID's strategy is to suppress the immune system while it replicates. Some of the variants seem to reinfection a lot with natural immunity (P.1 is the big offender for this)