Feeling good, thank you!
by LondonDomer (2021-04-15 11:21:55)

In reply to: How are you feeling? All ok I hope? *  posted by ewillND

Only residual symptom is some congestion for both of us (as well as the taste/smell thing). Kids are doing well (daughter with same congestion issue, son with taste/smell).

But I feel pretty close to 100%. Energy levels aren't awesome, but not bad.

Is taste/smell not a big thing?
by squid  (2021-04-15 11:43:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Having never experienced it, I’m interested in your thoughts on close to 100% being described as having some congestion, no taste and no smell. It’s kinda hard to imagine...eating and drinking and it all just tasting like water?

Glad you all are doing well.

Personally, it f***ing sucks.
by LondonDomer  (2021-04-15 11:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can still "taste" in the sense I can detect sweetness, sour, and bitter. So a cup of coffee "tastes" like bitter water. A glass of orange juice tastes like slightly sweet water. It's hard to describe exactly what it's like when you can only detect this sort of "core" tastes. Bitterness literally all by itself is weird.

Most food, you can sort of detect what you're eating, but really just based on texture or some level of saltiness or bitterness. Everything is incredibly bland. Some things are downright gross. I tried to take a sip of bourbon and it's just the burn of alcohol and nothing else.

I'm a person who likes food (maybe too much). I've lost 12 pounds in the last two weeks because eating has almost no appeal. Even when I'm hungry, I'll only make it about halfway through what I normally eat before I just don't want to eat anymore.

The lack of smell is really, really weird. I can put my face inches away from a bowl of garlic and deeply inhale and not get even a hint of garlic. Literally nothing. Sucks.

I'm dealing with it alright and am definitely anxious for it to come back, but I can see how some people would have mental difficulty handling it. I underappreciated how much the sense of smell adds to your day-to-day life. The scent of your kids hair when you give them a kiss, the smell of fresh rain, pulling on a clean t-shirt, breakfast cooking in the morning -- lots of little things that are small joys that are just totally gone.

Do not recommend.

Thanks. Good luck again. *
by squid  (2021-04-15 14:21:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

G18 says the same. It is really frustrating her.
by ewillND  (2021-04-15 14:14:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For her, chocolate is the worst. She says it tastes like chocolate, minus all of the sugar, with a bit of rubber added to it.

Lots of things smell like car exhaust. It's miserable. But hopefully it will clear up soon...

It sounds like she has been one of the more unlucky ones
by LondonDomer  (2021-04-15 14:21:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as from as the ansomnia goes. Seems like most people get it back to relative normal levels within a few (2-3) weeks. Then there are others who it takes longer, and others still who have that weird side effect where stuff smells terrible (like garbage, or in your daughter's case, like car exhaust).

I feel for her. She's been dealing with this a lot longer than me, and to be honest, I'm really sick of it already.

I hope it returns for her soon.