CA intrastate travel - drive or fly?
by dfw (2021-04-15 11:52:58)

Heading to California at the end of May to visit some colleges with my daughter (current junior in HS).

Have 2 days in San Diego and then 2 days in Santa Clara/San Francisco. Flights will be to San Diego and out from San Francisco.

Question: is taking a day in between to drive up workable and advisable(things to do/see on the drive?) or should we fly up and just spend an extra day in one of the spots?

Also, any recs on places to stay near Santa Clara/Palo Alto.

Thanks!

You almost certainly want to fly
by Tex Francisco  (2021-04-16 11:15:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your driving options are (1) a boring, ugly 8.5 hour drive up the middle of the state on I5, or (2) a beautiful but slow 12-15 hour drive along the coast.

Fly. *
by kellykapowski  (2021-04-16 10:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If only the CAHSR project was done... *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-15 15:00:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“It took me 16 hours to get to LA-aaaaaaa...” *
by HENNAORNO  (2021-04-15 14:53:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I loved that drive....with the appropriate time
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 14:14:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We did SD-SF in 3 days, stopping at every burrito/wine/vista point in between. Definitely not the drive to make with a timeline though.

Thanks- seems pretty much unanimous. *
by dfw  (2021-04-15 13:56:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fly. If you can add a day then drive down the coast
by 1978Irish  (2021-04-15 13:45:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from San Francisco for a day or 2.

Agree with everyone below...
by Irisharab  (2021-04-15 13:20:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) doesn't go near the coast at all between Gaviota (just west of Santa Barbara) and Pismo Beach. I don't think that stretch of Highway 1 away from the coast is anything special, but you'd be going a lot slower than you would on 101 or 5.

That drive sucks...Fly
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 13:06:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The traffic is not predictable in the least and a 7 hour drive can very easily become a 10 hour drive depending upon when you are hitting LA or the Bay Area.

Fly
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-04-15 12:53:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do all that fun stuff on another trip.

fly *
by jt  (2021-04-15 12:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you fools *
by enginerd194  (2021-04-15 17:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be a full day drive, but once you're past LA, it
by otters92  (2021-04-15 12:02:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

can be gorgeous if you drive up the coast. You could do Hwy 1 through Santa Barbara up past Morro Bay. Hwy 1 past Sam Simeon will still be closed, so you 'd have to cut over to Hwy 101 via the 46.

If your plan is to drive Interstate 5 the entire way, I would recommend flying. There are some really cheap flights from San Diego to the Bay area. Plus you'd save the money on the rental car fee for returning the car to a different airport.

I agree
by Final_Flanner  (2021-04-15 12:54:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as someone who just did the LA - Bay Area drive on the 5 twice last week.

It's always sort of fun to hit the Grapevine when driving south, but it's merely a convenience route and can't compare to driving the coastal route. Unless you really love playing the pass the semi while the Mercedes SUV tries to cut you off game over and over and over again.

I agree. I'd fly unless you can add another day.
by Jimbo Irish  (2021-04-15 12:33:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be a beautiful drive for the most part, but it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable if you didn't have time to stop and do some exploring along the way, in my opinion.

If you're just doing it for the scenery out of the car, it's going to be a lot of work/driving that I'd probably save for another visit when you have more time.

They are looking to have Hwy 1 open by April 30.
by Tommy Baseball  (2021-04-15 12:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree that driving the coastal route is the only way it is worth it, but it would be a grueling day (8-9 hours with no traffic and no stops), and there probably wouldn't be much time to stop and see stuff.

If they were willing to spend a night halfway up, that would at least let them stop along the way to see a few places.

And you'd likely be stuck behind a prius doing 23 mph *
by enginerd194  (2021-04-15 12:38:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are plenty of places on hwy1 to pass the Prius and RVs
by otters92  (2021-04-15 12:52:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, they involve crashing down the cliffs and into the ocean below.

The Tiger Woods Maneuver *
by Tommy Baseball  (2021-04-15 13:23:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post