Thank you for volunteering
by 96_ND (2021-04-15 12:29:07)

In reply to: Youth soccer recs  posted by 570tosb

I have been involved with my town's soccer league for over 5 years now in various capacities and to be honest I am still learning. Some of my thoughts are below.

* Uniforms - I agree with the poster below on uniforms. Big thing there is to be consistent from year to year if possible. That way you can have extras in storage and as new players join and it also provides some flexibility year to when putting teams together. For example, you can always order numbers 1-15 for new teams, but have numbers 20-35 in various sizes in reserve in case.

* Coaching/Player development - This is important on multiple fronts. Most coaches are willing to coach but to be honest don't know much about the game or coaching. But in addition to helping the coaches you want to make sure your development plan included both skills on the ball and soccer IQ. It is amazing how many U-12 kids in our league can't do a throw-in or understand basic positioning.

* Refereeing - We have a junior referee program in place for our lower age levels. This allows 12 and 13 year old kids to get some experience before they become certified referees. Our hope is that as they get older they go on to get certification to do other games.

Equipment - Think about your long term goals for equipment including soccer goals if you need to purchase. How often do you want to buy new goals, etc.

Good luck.