Pfizer CEO
by OldRasputin (2021-04-15 13:41:11)

In reply to: Sounds like the vaccines are working rather well (link)  posted by sprack

says booster likely needed within 12 months. None of this is surprising.

We will need boosters until the patent runs out *
by uconndomer  (2021-04-15 15:12:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a frustrating article.
by squid  (2021-04-15 14:36:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only quote on topic from Pfizer’s CEO is “likely”. Journalists need to rely more on quotes and less on summation. Was there any qualifier on his statement?

Later in the article, we have this example,

>>Earlier Thursday, the Biden administration’s Covid response chief science officer David Kessler said Americans should expect to receive booster shots to protect against coronavirus variants.

Kessler told U.S. lawmakers that currently authorized vaccines are highly protective but noted new variants could “challenge” the effectiveness of the shots.

“We don’t know everything at this moment,” he told the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis.

“We are studying the durability of the antibody response,” he said. “It seems strong but there is some waning of that and no doubt the variants challenge ... they make these vaccines work harder. So I think for planning purposes, planning purposes only, I think we should expect that we may have to boost.”<<

That last sentence is about planning for the worst, no? That’s not Kessler predicting Americans should expect it.

A key factor may be how many Americans get vaccinated. Overall vaccine effectiveness is determined not just by whether I got it, but whether the people around me have.

We'll just get COVID shots every year like flu shots *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2021-04-15 14:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post