I hope the norm becomes "I don't care what you do."
by revressbo (2021-04-15 14:06:24)
Edited on 2021-04-15 14:09:10

In reply to: Some people will still wear them regardless.  posted by CMillar

Pre-Covid, in America, you would be looked at (at best...) oddly if you wore a mask anywhere not in a hospital. Today, you are often looked at (rightfully, if indoors and/or not socially distanced) as inconsiderate (at best...) if you don't wear a mask.

I hope once we get herd immunity and this is done, nobody will care what anyone else does. You want to wear a mask on the subway? Great! You don't want to wear a mask on the subway? Great! But I've seen some people advocating for a sort of "this should be the new norm for everyone" during cold/flu season. Yeah... no thanks.

Entirely agree.
by potatohouse  (2021-04-15 14:18:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My biggest hope going forward is that those who are most susceptible to something "routine" for many of us (like the flu) becoming serious and/or life-threatening will be able to shed any self-consciousness that might've prevented them from taking the very easy step of masking up to add a little shield of protection.

I remember how personally awkward is was for me last April the first time I donned a gaiter and ducked my way into the super market. I try to feel comfortable in my own skin, but that was nerve-wracking. It was shades up showing up to middle school with a dorky shirt my mom picked out. And I can remember the moment it all flipped and suddenly the majority of the people in the store were now wearing masks. And the sense of calm and comfort that being back and safe in the majority brought.

It should not be lost on anyone how our measures this past year decimated common seasonal illness. While it will be optimal for the vast majority to return to a non-distanced, non-masked existence, those who choose not to should not be subjected to any societal mockery.

Walking into a bar in rural WA with a mask on in May 2020
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 14:52:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(going on a rafting trip and stopped over for food)

My friend and I paused at the door like we were walking into Bob's Country Bunker. "Nobody else does...should we?"

"Man we're getting weird looks"

"F*** them, it's what the guidance says to do."

As silly as it sounds, I honestly wasn't relishing having that discussion with some rando at the time. We ate outside anyhow, because it was a lovely day.

I remember vehemently whining that "ugh, we're not asia" last year. Now I don't care if we are or aren't - there are some good demonstrable results we can definitely borrow out of this that don't involve mandating it.

100% *
by potatohouse  (2021-04-15 15:11:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post